Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a week ago this past wenesday I fratured and severly sprained my right ankle, while at work.I've been home on workmans comp. since.my wife of 14 years is driving me nuts(I hope this is not a prelem to retirememt)evry 2 seconds is there anything I get for you,let me do that for you,do you need more pain pills,let me do that for you.she even offerd to help in the bathroom,with 3 kids there are only a few things and placesI have left to be alone , privatite time in the john is one of em. even went up to Oscoda tuesday and wednesday and thanks to modern technoligy,she called about every half hour to see how I was doing.I love her dearly,but I'M going to be home at least another 2 weeks,I hope the weather changes soon I need to get out of the house and do some fishin,(this time I'll leave the cell phone home)

sorry for this post just needed to vent somehow,

thanks ,larry

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Let's see, you are hurt and your wife won't leave you alone. Offering to help you, make sure you are comfortable, brings your medication, probably cooks meals and brings them to you also. Man want a nightmare (kidding).

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Take it out on some helpless peice of balsa and do some woodcarving. Spearing decoys, new bass plugs, walking sticks, peace pipes...

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
flinch,

you got it right I know it sounds bad on my part complaining about someone who cares and loves me.she a a stay at mom and now were stuck at home 24/7 together, and she is driving me nuts,I wish she would pretend I was not home and go on with her normal routine.

lunker,

great idea tried something like that yesterday went out to the garage to get my rod building stuff.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you are right thunderhead it would be worse much worse 180 the other way.I just wish she would understand I have a bum ankle,with crutches I can do any thing that I did before.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thunderhead,

yes sir, we have spent some time together in that department,but after 14 years, the honeymoon is over.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just read your post and really you have know problems. Sounds like you have a great wife. Been married 32 years and you learn how to give each other there space. She does her thing and I do mine. Just tell her in a very nice way and I mean in a very nice way that she doesn,t have to wait on you hand and foot and you appreciate what she is doing for you.
Another idea is give her your credit card and tell her to go shopping. It works every time. And retirement isn,t like that believe me. To many people think that is what is going to happen but you need to have hobbies and give eachother there space . I don,t have enough time to do what I want and been retired 4 year now.
Mike

·
Registered
913 Posts
Sit her down and praise her on her compassion and selflessness.

Tell her that it has really reinforced the fact of how lucky you are to have her as a wife and companion. :eek:

BUT,,,,

That part of the healing process is that you really need to get up and move around and start doing some tasks on your own.

A psuedo physical therapy thingy. :rolleyes:

Explain that you need to keep the blood flowing to your extremities, also if you don't get up and get moving, your joints will stiffen and the rehabilitative process will take even longer and be painfully more demanding.

Once you have displayed this courageous selfless act of chivalry she will surely succumb to your desires.

Then,,, go tell her to grab a Beer outta fridge for ya...:D :D :D

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the input guys,I know I have a great wife ,just felt a little smotherd earlier,and needed to vent.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'm not retired, but I have known a lot of retired couples, including my parents and trust me, this activity is not an indication of what retirement will be like.

During retirement, if she spends time with you, it will be supervising your "honey-do" list, or taking you with her shopping. Under no circumstance will she cater to you and fetch and carry. Women only do that at special times in the marriage. Retirement, when the man has no real job to accomplish, is not one of those times.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
So Larry do you need anything are you hungry do you need a pillow are you thirsty?:D

How is the rod going along? Ive got some killer crhomed out wiggle warts I just made up and Im working on my own handmade soft plastic baits coming soon.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Man I'm jealous....

I was laid off from my job on Friday and don't start the new job for one week.

I also just happened to pick up a new boat. I had plans of bowhunting and fishing this week. Man was I wrong.

That boat just gave my wife free-reign to load me up with crap all week. I've already painted the hallway and put the first coat on the kitchen today. I've got two more coats to put on the kitchen tomorrow, yard work, cabinets to hang in the garage, and that's just Tuesday. Wednesday I'm not even sure what she wants me to do...

I love my wife dearly, but it looks like she's gonna kill me this week. Mind you, it's all stuff I knew I had to get to the next month or so, but I didn't figure I'd have to do it all the same week. I guess this is the true price for buying a boat.

I'm looking more and more forward to that new job. Maybe I'll sleep in to 9:00 tomorrow...

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all the input guys, things are getting better made it out lake erie yesterday planning going again today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts