Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picture was forwarded to me..... If you're gonna post a video of some great Saginaw Bay Walleye fishing, at least use the legal number of lines.... Here, two guys...at least seven (likely 8) lines. On another video it looked like up to 10 boards. :16suspect:16suspect:16suspect

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Right on Dead Short. Some peoples I.Q. does not lend themselves to following what we all do. Too bad one of your associates can't use this video to get out the ticket book... Lets use the oportunity to really embarrass these poachers!

·
Registered
26,516 Posts
Some people never think before they act, then they do it twice :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After watching the videos, it looks like they're launching out of Linwood. Wouldn't be too hard to track them down. ;)

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I am sure they're on to it now. I never understood why video footage could not be utilized in a Court of Law.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am sure they're on to it now. I never understood why video footage could not be utilized in a Court of Law.
We've used it (and photos) for evidence. Especially for trespassing cases. I have screenshots of enough of the videos for the guys in Bay County to look at. It's out there on Youtube for the world to see. They might catch flack from the sportsmen over there after their violations are observed. Sometimes a jury of peers at the boat dock is just as good as the courthouse.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
We've used it (and photos) for evidence. Especially for trespassing cases. I have screenshots of enough of the videos for the guys in Bay County to look at. It's out there on Youtube for the world to see.
Hmm, I find that statement very upsetting. I have and took it upon myself to go all the way to a Sargeant of the S.E. MI. unit with video footage that aired on MUCC TV of snagged fish going in the box.

1. Blade bait jigging for Walley on Lk. Erie.
2. Jigging Trenton Channel Walleyes.
3. Rifle river suckers at Omer.

In all three of the above mentioned videos/footage fish were clearly hooked on the body, not in the mouth. The Sargeant REFUSED to persue the tickets.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hmm, I find that statement very upsetting. I have and took it upon myself to go all the way to a Sargeant of the S.E. MI. unit with video footage that aired on MUCC TV of snagged fish going in the box.

In all three of the above mentioned videos/footage fish were clearly hooked on the body, not in the mouth. The Sargeant REFUSED to persue the tickets.
It may be something that the particular prosecutor's office is not keen on. I know it might sound silly, but there is always a concern, with any digital media, that it could have been altered. Once you cross that bridge, it's usually pretty good evidence. Any evidence would be reviewed by the prosecutors and the officers may already know that certain videos/photos may not be allowed, depending on how they are obtained. Not sure.

·
Registered
17,406 Posts
Third guy in the bow?

I had a guy scream at me at the bubbler a couple years back about running too many lines. He called the CO, he comes rolling up all gung ho about writing a ticket. Put out the fenders and let him board; my daughters are sitting in the opening to my cabin huddled up in a blanket out of the wind but where they could see the rods just as well if not better than I.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Third guy in the bow?

I had a guy scream at me at the bubbler a couple years back about running too many lines. He called the CO, he comes rolling up all gung ho about writing a ticket. Put out the fenders and let him board; my daughters are sitting in the opening to my cabin huddled up in a blanket out of the wind but where they could see the rods just as well if not better than I.
Not when you watch the entire video.

·
Banned
10,812 Posts

I remember that incident very well. I was very mad when I saw that segment and registered a complaint with MUCC, who then owned the show. The response that I got from them was a scathing letter from Dennis Knickerbocker the editor of Michigan Out-of Doors Magazine who told me that he never wanted me to write for the magazine again. He even returned my pending article that I had written on assignment with no pay. They even reran the same episode again trying to explain how they were no breaking the law, which just added insult to injury because is was so obvious that they had snagged and kept some of the fish. I did eventually join the ranks of many by reporting it to the DNR and was told that since they could not proof that they were in MI water, that they would not go after them. It happened out by Turtle Island near the MI/OH boarder. My interpretation of what happened was that the DNR was not going to go after one of their biggest supporters and allies. Pretty sad. I still have a copy of that show for old time sake.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Any of you remember when Fred Trost did get busted on the Shiawassee Flats for not having the proper license? I couldn't help but laugh. RIP Fred. I know you'll never do it again.

You'd think that anything making it to the airwaves would be squeaky clean. We all obey the rules and the role models on TV should also. They are not setting a good example for the youth.

On the other hand we probably all have a few things in our past that we are not proud of.:) Glass houses and stones comes to mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts