Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that care:

The NOAA Outlook and Prediction maps indicate that below-normal temperatures are headed into the the entire eastern half of the country. The upper midwest looks to be in the core of this developing cold wave. The tide appears to be turning, but is it too late? Will areas like Saginaw Bay, St. Claire, Higgins, etc freeze big? What do you think?

'Eye-Skater

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Eyeskater, I think with a good cold spell we would have been alright but sunday night we got a lot of rain and the river and ditches are running like crazy and look like chocolate milk. Went out saturday with a buddy in a airboat where we fished had 10 inches of good ice but never marked a fish in six hours of fishing.:sad: The shore is crappy to say the least before the rain now it is probably shot.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Days are getting longer and time is no longer on our side!
I'm just hoping for enough cold to refreeze the local inland lakes
and some canals for awhile.

That last warm rain on the weekend was definitely an ice destroyer.

Mike

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I'm throwing in the towel:lol: It will probably get cold enough to freeze the inland lakes,but I'm already out of ice mode.I've been out in a boat already,I'm going out the boat in a couple weeks and I've switched to steelhead mode.
Too little ,too late for me.The new shanty is going up in the rafters and will be new still next year.Never even got it out:(
I'll keep the bucket down in case I get an urge to hit a local lake,but this "winter" has been a bummer!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've been getting the gills in shallow water fishing off of shore in the bays and inlets. Seems like they like the warmth and higher oxygen levels. Getting some good ones.

I would still like a couple of weeks of ice though if possible.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Went out once. Looked forward to ice all season. Now the thrill is gone and even if there's a good freeze, it will never be the fun up-to-your-knees in snow pull of the shanty out on the lake. Season was a total bust but now I'm looking forward to boat fishing again.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Ah jeez guys it's only Feb. Last year on March 20th i was still hammering 13" crappie on a lk. in Manistee co. Dont give up yet :fish: :fish: Cant believe my 500 wax worms are still alive "well alot of them anyway" Ive had them for over 2 mts. "Hint" Keep them around 55'-60' Guess there holding on because they want to go fishing too !!!!:lol: Think ICEEEEE :D

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
I kinda like the way the winter is going. :D Easier to drill a hole, don't need the power auger and less people at every lake I have been to. There is plenty of ice you just need to quit whinning:gaga: and go look for it. There is some lakes I wanna get on but can't but there is also plenty of lakes with good ice:p

·
Registered
509 Posts
My excitement mounted as we got the early ice. I was looking forward to a long, successful season.:rant: It's really too bad, but I have confidence that we will get ice, and that it will be fun.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I agree with the previous two posts. If you're willing to drive and make a day of it there's plenty of ice in the mid to northern counties. And I also believe we will get some good ice again down here. It might be 3 and a half weeks instead of 3 and a half months of it like last year, but when it comes I'm gonna hit it hard!!

Sid

·
Registered
673 Posts
bigsid said:
I agree with the previous two posts. If you're willing to drive and make a day of it there's plenty of ice in the mid to northern counties. And I also believe we will get some good ice again down here. It might be 3 and a half weeks instead of 3 and a half months of it like last year, but when it comes I'm gonna hit it hard!!

Sid

The spirit is willing, but the budget is weak. (whine)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
William H Bonney said:
I'm not givin' up. There were a handful of us out in front of Gino's last year,,,,,, in April. There's still time.
Oh yeah, still the better part of 2 months possibly left in our ice fishing season...Once the deep freeze hits and we get teens for a week, it doesn't take long. Many of us got spoiled last winter because we icefished over 3 1/2 months...

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
theres still hope. with this late cold spell winter might be longer. Last season we fished pretty late. Mother nature needs to make up her damn mind. either ice or no ice.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have kind of liked the boat fishing all winter. I can cover a lot more water in a boat then walking on ice. The walleye fishing has been pertty good for the most part all winter. Caught a limit Monday and threw a few others back. Hopefully I can repeat that this morning.

Tim

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Actually, for me...this season has been about the same as last year.....with all the reports of dink perch on LSC last year....I only made it out there 2 times....every weekend was up on Houghton lake.....this year I was out on the lake 3 times......rest of season again....will be spent north on HL !

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I have read that when lakes thaw and refreeze its not necessarily a bad thing. When we get ice, fishing should still be similar to first ice. So dont give up hope.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts