Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Tonga have you ever seen the power tilt and trim that Cabelas sells for motors without t/t. It says it is for up to a 130 hp motors. I just got one for my pontoon with a yamaha 40 hp on it. If you have seen them do you think they are fairly easy to install? Thanks a million....Matt

·
Super Moderator
37,859 Posts
They are a piece of cake. They are pre drilled so that they bolt right into the existing holes on the transom, and the holes to mount the outboard are pre drilled perfectly too. The wiring is all straight forward, with excellent instructions.

I would suggest that when you mount the outboard on the power tilt that you mount it a couple inches higher than it was when mounted directly to the transom. Hanging the weight 5-6" further back off the transom is going to change the attitude of the boat at speeds under planing speeds, and you also won't need the prop buried as deep in the water because it will be running in "cleaner" water back away from the hull. You are going to be amazed at how fast you plane out and how much more top end you will have. The combination of perfect trim, the engine setback. and, if you tweak in the engine height, is going to add a ton of performance. (and better mileage too. Good investment.
I can't stress the importance of mounting the engine as high as possible enough, Even if it takes three tries. It makes a major difference.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
I do not have a Cabelas Cat. handy,,,it is not made by CMC is it? those are sweet!
It sounds like Esox has the lowdown on the unit anyway..
I will second what Esox said about setting the motor as high as posible as long as you keep a good bite on the water.
you would be amazed at the amount of drag just one inch of that lower unit has!
You have a pontoon so you should already have some very clean
water to get a bite into!!
ESOX have a look at the winter projects post,I put a few pics up I think you can appreciate!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks gents for the reply. I will definetly keep it as high as I can, I really ppreciate the advise. Yep Tonga it is the one made by CMC it's the PT130 with gauge. Here is a link to it. Thanks again.....Matt

·
Super Moderator
37,859 Posts
OOPS, missed the pontoon part. Yea, I don't think cleaner water is much of an issue.LOL
Those CMC units are well made,and they back them up. I have their hydraulic jackplate on a 17 1/2' deep vee, everything lined up perfectly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts