Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Automotive tire Wood Grass Finger Cosmetics

Well, I started the morning with 4 shells. Now I have 1 and 0 turkey’s to show for it….

Not a peep all morning and 10 minutes after a couple soft yelps, one sneaks in behind/over my shoulder and I’m super exposed with my gun pointing the wrong way. He was 30 yards out when he picked me off so I had to act quick. Swung on him by and it worked out in his favor.

He flew to the other side of the road where I also have permission, so I’m over there now hoping to catch up with some of his comrades.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Rough start to the season yesterday. Let’s just say I now have 5 empty shell casings and 0 tom’s to show for it.

The wife and I are out this morning. Some jakes, a couple hens, and heard two gobblers. Weren’t able to get eyes on the tom’s, but we are sitting a dusting area now and where I saw most of the action yesterday.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
The goal tonight was to roost birds for tomorrow, but no need anymore 😬

Arrived at the property around 4:45p and wanted to check the roost spot before heading over to the dusting area. One fired off within 150 yards to a crow overhead, but by the time I got set up, he crossed the road and was gobbling over there. Almost called him back to me, but a dump truck drove by and spooked him back onto the city property no one hunts.

Gave it 15 mins then went across the road to sit and call at the dusting area and I bumped a lone hen from her dirt bath. 30 minutes later after a couple calling sequences, a crow groups starts going nuts and a tom fires off from what sounds like a couple hundred yards away in the brush. Hit him with some yelps and he gobbled back. One more short sequence and I shut up.

5 minutes later, I hear walking in the crispy leaf duff and then drumming/spitting. He pops out within 15 yards, struts twice, and then I proved that my gun does more than just miss turkey’s; it can kill them too!

Camouflage Military camouflage Hunting Sky Marines

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Grass Liver

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Good job, Kevin! I'm assuming you threw the gun at the bird or used it as a club.... Either way, that's a dead thunder chicken!
Congratulations!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
lol thankfully I didn’t have to resort to that. Last Saturday, I shot 3 times at a tom as he spooked and missed. A couple hours later, I was just about to lose a couple ounces and I look up and here’s a tom strutting 30 yards away down the field edge slowly coming my way. He got to 20 yards, but had a good deal of autumn olive between us. All of a sudden, a hen is in front of me at 5 yards and is about to spook. I forced 2 shots at the tom and he flew off unscathed lol

This time my aim was a little more true. Rough numbers are 9.5” beard and 7/8” spurs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.