Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Toddfather?

811 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Labrat 
#1 ·
It's about those danged furled leaders again. What is your personal best way to attach the line and tippet? Yesterday while using them I loop-to-looped the thick end to a mono tag I nail-knotted on my fly line. The hinging effect drove me nuts!
You're still out there I hope!

#2 ·
Jackster, Sorry for the long delay in responding to your post! Long hours haven't allowed much free time, hence, I'm a little behind on everything. My personal favorite method of attachment is to nail knot a mono tag to the end of my flyline. The lenght and weight of the tag is somewhat critical to a balanced set up. Generally if you are having trouble with hinging, I'd suggest you lengthen your tag a bit, and be sure you have enough tippet lenght. A tag somewhere in the neighborhood of 36" would be a good starting point. Lengthen or shorten it until you acheive the desired results. Once that tag length is known, you're done with the problem forever. Keep in mind that short casting distances augment the problem.

I use a little knot that isn't exactly a knot to attach the mono tag to the loop on the leader. It's a trick that I learned years ago however it somewhat defy's clear explaination. Essentially I tie a simple knot on the mono tag end and then melt the knot into a little ball that is fused togather from the heat. The ball end is placed through the loop of the leader and passed around the backside of the loop to the front side where the ball is placed under the mono. When pulled tight, the knot gets hung up and cannot slip through the cinch that's been created. I've landed steelhead on this little knot and have never lost a fish to the connection. I'll see if I can come up with a picture of this gem and post it if successful.

I have given umpteen dozen leaders away on this board in an attempt to enlighten those interested. I must admit, those offered balance my equipment perfectly. Only minimal effort should be required to adapt to furled leaders as explained above. I never suggested that those leaders would be a good match for everone without some effort on their part. The beauty is: Once you find the the balance point, the newly aquired control along with many of the other positive attributes of these leaders will astonish you with every cast. Don't give up on these too early, they're worth the effort!

Just a few more words on the subject: Learn to make them and experiment on various tapers and lengths. You'll soon find the combination that has your name written all over it. In my opinion, once you find the right equlibrium going back to drawn or knotted leaders just isn't an option!

Hope this was helpful rather than confusing!

TODDFATHER

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Doctor! Since asking the original question I did a little homework and came up with this gem: http://www.virtualflybox.com/articles/article.php?id=6
I haven't had too much time to really dive into trying one but that loop does look interesting. Waddya think?
I do make my own now thanks to you and steeldrifter. They are the greatest on the lighter weight rods. Since most of my trout fishing is done on small streams and in pocket waters with not much room for a back cast the use of your thread leaders opened up a whole new bright side to the sport. They cast and turnover as well at 3' as they do at 30'.
Thanks for steering me down the straight and narrow!

#4 ·
Toddfather

Talk Steve into starting a link in the Fly Tying - Fly Fishing link on how to do different stuff. I like reading your how to posts and I think there are many others that may like the idea. The link would not need to be your ideas only, but include those of others.

You could put together your own web site that does the same.

That Toddson guy is very lucky.

#6 ·
I did learn two things new today, this and a calculation at work. I hope tomorrow is just as productive.

Again, Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.