Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered if anyone had opinions on how the birds will respond to this weather. Yesterday they were on lock down. I can assume the same will be true for today with the high winds and cold. I gotta believe they will be hungry and ready to move this weekend when the storm breaks. Saturday looks decent at 17 degrees and 40% snow. Sunday the mercury will rise into the 30's with some sun which I don't believe will help hunting..

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Love hunting them in the snow. Our theory is it blinds them lol. I can't speak for allegan but I would think with these snow depths they might be thinking about getting out of here.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too love getting on em when it's snowing.. And yes the snow depths are starting to build.. Hopefully some stick around for my enjoyment

·
Registered
17,347 Posts
Birds will not leave Fennville. It's where they go when everything else locks up / snow gets too deep. They've got a river that stays open and 300 acres of standing corn all within the refuge. Why the even bother to fly around is beyond me.

There's been good hunting this week as some fresh birds piled into the mix with the stale ones. A week or two of good weather will whittle off the stupid and train the remainders on exactly where that line is.

I've found that a shovel makes quick work to dig a nice blind when the snow drifts in the corn hit about 4'.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Birds will not leave Fennville. It's where they go when everything else locks up / snow gets too deep. They've got a river that stays open and 300 acres of standing corn all within the refuge. Why the even bother to fly around is beyond me.

There's been good hunting this week as some fresh birds piled into the mix with the stale ones. A week or two of good weather will whittle off the stupid and train the remainders on exactly where that line is.

I've found that a shovel makes quick work to dig a nice blind when the snow drifts in the corn hit about 4'.
Interesting....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts