Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Went to the Todd Farm today and had an okay hunt...our group managed two geese out of three hunters. Normally I would consider this a good hunt but I am truly disappointed in the ethical and moral behavior of my "fellow waterfowl hunters". The days of pass shooting have been long gone for some time now...but what I saw today was absolutely uncalled for! My hunting party took zone 6-C (hopefully some of the people that hunted around us read this) and the guys that hunted the zones next to us on both sides are a complete disgrace to the sport of waterfowl hunting. I am talking about these "hunters" were taking ridiculously long shots (60+ yard shots). No shotgun has an effective range out that far to ensure a clean kill and especially on a day like today with 45+ mph winds. How can people feel a sense of accomplishment by doing this...the point of waterfowling is to fool nature by the use of proper decoy placement and life-like calling...that is were the sense of accomplishment comes from and what waterfowl hunting is suppose to be about. I personally get a greater sense of pride by being able to call a flock of geese into my spread and being able to take the shot that ensures a quick and humane harvest of the game...this should be the mindset of all hunters no matter what people are hunting. But it was obvious today that the moral and ethical fiber of people has disintegrated to the point were all people care about is the taking of game. I am truly sad that this sport that I love so much has come to this!

Chad

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Quit hunting there in 1982 for that same reason and haven't been back since. Didn't matter if you were at the farm, highbanks or marsh it was all the same. Slob hunters doing the sky blasting.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have never goose hunted there - and I hope I never have too. I am fortunate to have some good connections for good goose fields.

I know how frustrating it can be - had it happen to us on private fields as well. It's hard not to ring their necks.

Don't get discouraged we have had some great hunts at managed areas where everyone around us let the birds work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Chad, you can whine about this problem till your blue in the face the bottom line is it will NEVER change. Its the exact same mentality thats keeps MI with the second largest deer herd in the nation a joke when it comes to quality bucks, because people keep continuing to shoot button bucks and a ton of immature bucks but refuse to try and manage the deer herd for consistant quality bucks. Until people start to realize that the bag limit is not the bottom line and a quality hunt is this will not change at the Farm or any other refuge. Some guys just want to brag to their buddies that they shot how ever many birds, but I bet they dont tell how they got them because they know that there is an "ethical" aspect to sky busting. Hopefully if I ever hunt the Farm again, which I try to avoid, I get a blind next to someone with your attitude and have a good experience and hunt, but if not you have to go with the attitude that this willl happen and try not to let it frustrate you and ruin a good time which is just as important as far as im concerned.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
If you want to stop seeing this crap and having guys setup next to you and skybust, try hunting during the WEEK. 90% of my hunting is done during the week and haven't had to many "problem" hunts this year. The freaks come out during the weekend. I don't know how to put it any other way.

Kevlar

·
Registered
497 Posts
I went to the draw at the Todd Farm this morning, and did not get a good enough draw to sit in a zone, watch skybusters, and chase my decoys down that were blowing all over the place.. The wind was about 45mph, with some very high gusts, I would estimate near 60mph. I doubt they shot that many birds. I have hunted the Farm for 18 years, since I could hunt and have seen this same behavior. But I have seen it at all the managed areas, private areas, anywhere. What the basic problem is waterfowl hunting has been made TOO easy, so every Tom, Dick, and Harry can go, throw out a Roto-Duck, use No-Talent calling and some decoys, and still think that a bird is within range to shoot at 75 yards.

It will never change, but dreaming about a change is nice, too bad we could not have a waterfowl hunter training program that would educate "New" hunters. We have all taken an occosional shot that was too far, but it is not only the uneducated hunters.....Take the some of the newer No-Tox shot that is available.....They claim you can shoot a goose dead at 100yards....So then every idiot goes and buys a box and shoot until they do it.

In my opinion, Waterfowl hunting has become way to commercialized!!!!!!!!!!!

But I will still go out every year!!!

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
didn't have any problems with skybusters today...i think there was only 1 other party on the flats today and they were on the whole other side of the flats. so nice being only one around...and yes, hunt weekdays. I don't even break my gun out on weekends unless i got some room (bay).

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
We were out yesterday and got lucky, no skybusting around us, but had to chase decoys all morning. And the guy next to us must of had his house cat along and would beat it against the ground whenever he saw geese. (Thats what it sounded like anyway)

I psyching myself for the place right now by trying to lower my blood ressure to accomodate the usual sharp increase when the sybusting starts.

Brian

·
Registered
497 Posts
Anyone know how many they killed the first two days???

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Skybusters P*SS me off, and I agree with you...

BUT...

waterfowlhunter83 said:
....the point of waterfowling is to fool nature by the use of proper decoy placement and life-like calling...that is were the sense of accomplishment comes from and what waterfowl hunting is suppose to be about....
That is YOUR opinion, what YOU like... it also happens to be what I like, but pass shooting is as traditional as decoying.

However, I do agree, you should set up to pass-shoot within effective kill range.

waterfowlhunter83 said:
....harvest of the game...
Harvest beets and potatoes, KILL ducks and geese :corkysm55

They have come to use the word harvest so as not to irritate the anti's... I say to hell with anti's, let's call it what it is. ;)

·
Registered
683 Posts
We all complain about it - - - yet it will never change. We should accept it and be appreciative when we don't have to deal with it - - - afterall it is thanksgiving - lets be thankful ;)

P.S. - I hate 'em too!!:)

BR

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Well, my blood pressure has finally cooled down enough to type a post here that won't sound bad. Got stuck between two bad zones this morning. Left side was set up CLOSE downwind and did exactly what downwinder types do best; kill birds working your calling and spread. On the right was skybusters. At about 10 Am the skybusters lit up a flock at about 80yrds and I decided it was time to leave. No longer enjoying the hunt so its time to leave. (there will be other days). Needless to say it took a while to pack it in today. Paybacks are hell :)

Whoever was over near 2A or 3A was doing some spectacular calling and had geese coming in great today, it was fun to watch from a distance. Tomorrow=private land where I haven't seen a goose in a month now. But I need a break from the Todd Farm mistress, she's breaking my balls, and only after two days.

BTW opening morning was something like 85 geese and 44 ducks. Kinda slow if you ask me.

Brian

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anyone hunted the todd farm recently? i havent been down for the drawing yet but just wondering how people have been doin and if the skybusting is pretty bad down there still. thanks.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Read post above.

Brian

·
Registered
497 Posts
Went on Sat. Drew 26, Shot one goose, should have had more?...maybe.....Sky busting was not bad in our zone, but where the geese were coming in from, was rediculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounded like a trap shoot........Whoever it was behind, or in zone 6 did not have only 12 shells!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts