Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the Vet today with a bill of $507.12. I had my 7 month old Setter spayed today. While there, they found a minor ear infection. They also did a flouride treatment on her teeth. Itemized invoice reads as follows:

Canine Spay 190.00 The cost of the spay was part of a discount package deal with the vet since she was a young pup. The package price covered all of her shots and routine puppy check-ups.
Laser Surgery extra $55.00 We were told less blood and heals faster.
Fluoride Treatment 21.00
Ear cleaning/Meds 22.75
Ear Cytology 25.00

6 month supply of Advantix 102.12 :yikes:
6 month supply of Heartgard Plus 56.75

I figured the spay procedure cost is reasonable, but the shock on the bill was the medications for Advantix. Is this a good price or could I get the same medicine on line cheaper? It is hard to believe tick medicine would cost that much. These pooches aren't cheap are they?

· Registered
2,884 Posts
metro49 said:
These pooches aren't cheap are they?

I thought the same thing about the tick repellants when I got them last year. The pup had an ear infection, so I figured while I was at the vet I'd get enough Front Line for 2 dogs. Never even thought to inquire about the cost. $300.00 later between the ear gunk test (i.e. cytology), ear meds, ear cleaning solution, and Front Line, I was in shock on the drive home.

As far as pooches being cheap, there's a lot of truth to the saying that their initial cost is the cheapest part.

· Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kek25 said:
I thought the same thing about the tick repellants when I got them last year. The pup had an ear infection, so I figured while I was at the vet I'd get enough Front Line for 2 dogs. Never even thought to inquire about the cost. $300.00 later between the ear gunk test (i.e. cytology), ear meds, ear cleaning solution, and Front Line, I was in shock on the drive home.

As far as pooches being cheap, there's a lot of truth to the saying that their initial cost is the cheapest part.
I agree. Today I spent almost as much at the vet as I did for my pup. For another $150.00 I could have got another dog. Hey...there's an idea. Let me go ask my wife about that one. :D

· Registered
63 Posts
Not trying to make you feel bad or start a debate but those prices seem high. My female cost $95 to spay and this included the blood work. Puppy and yearly shots are $20 no office fee. For heart guard you could look into ivermec it's alot cheaper and can be bought over the counter. Here's a post from awhile ago about vet prices.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162122

· Registered
5,467 Posts
Next time ask your vet for a prescription of the meds so you can shop around online for them. Since you are obviously a good customer he shouldn't balk too much, if at all, to your request. You could have probably purchased the ear cleaning solution for $12 at a shop, not sure about the other one. As long as the pup is fine and everything heals without issue then you got what you paid for.....which would make it worth it.

· Registered
9,682 Posts
The medications are cheapest at Foster & Smith. But they do not guarantee the effectiveness of the heartworm meds. If we get Heartguard through our vet (which costs us about $2.00 more per dose) on a consistent basis, if one of our dogs contracts heartworm the vet will eat the cost of treatment for heartworm. We had a dog go through that treatment a few years ago and it wasn't cheap. IMO the extra two dollar insurance is worth it. Oh, and it's rare that we leave the vet office with a bill less than a hundred bucks. Too bad we can't claim them as dependents on BCBS! :dizzy:

· Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bh99 said:
Not trying to make you feel bad or start a debate but those prices seem high. My female cost $95 to spay and this included the blood work. Puppy and yearly shots are $20 no office fee. For heart guard you could look into ivermec it's alot cheaper and can be bought over the counter. Here's a post from awhile ago about vet prices.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162122
That is the reason I posted in the first place. I just wonder if the services from the vets are really needed sometimes and are the prices they charge me in the ballpark with other vets. Vet prices are a mystery to me since I have nothing else to compare it to.

I paid $190 dollars for the spay procedure PLUS an extra fee for the laser part. Why is it extra for laser?? :rant: Does it take more time?? I didn't take Annie into the vets office. My wife took her over and then she calls me and says the vet wanted her to get a flouride treatment. I don't think I would have chosen that treatment. Are these "extra" costs and procedures really necessary? I read the earlier post about vet costs and it just makes me question if my vet is worth the price.

· Registered
7,759 Posts
My Vet no longer sells Advantix, too many adverse reactions at the site of application so he stopped selling it.
Why are you doing it anyway? Do you have a flea and tick problem?
Those pesticides are so effective why not start when you (if you ever do) get the pest problem? They kill the entire life cycle so you can be rid of it in weeks if not days. I haven't given a flea or tick treatment in two years, Setters have enough immune system weaknesses without this additional suppression of it.

· Premium Member
11,079 Posts
It adds up- I had Jaegermeister in earlier this week for:

Heartworm Test
Fecal Test
Giardia Vaccination
Lyme Vaccine
1 Dose of Frontline to hold me over while I shop around.

$103.97

Wasn't too bad as far as vet visits go that is on the low end of thing for me....

· Registered
4,408 Posts
My vet bill the other day was $280. . .$175 of that was for Sentinel. (same thing as MWF said, if she gets heartworm, it is covered by the vet)

I don't give a topical anymore, it triggered the dog to have seizures every month, so I just check a little extra and she hasn't had a tick yet.

The other $100 was for
Physical Exam
Vacs.
Rabies Vacs.
heartworm test
phenobarb

Best thing is I really like our vet and they like us and are concerned about the dog, always ask hunting questions and want to know how everything is going. It is nice to go to a place where they come in and say "hi Skyler" and tell you how much they like your dog and were just talking about her to some other weim owners the other day. Much better than my previous vet here in GR area where I would see someone different each time there and they were a lot more expensive.

· Registered
2,137 Posts
Lets see how mine went I went on this plan from banfield veterinarian thought pet smart its $20 a month covers all the all shots and two exams and free emergency's visits, 10 percent off the prescription. Well it cost me 500 to have a growth on my dogs ear removed and now she has a growth on here leg there's another 500+ :dizzy:
Here's a story I bought some crawler harnessand put them on the table in a paper bag with a snickers bar well took a nap on the coach woak up with one dog playing tug of war with the other but the hook was in the dogs nose:lol: $1 dollar harness cost me $200:dizzy:

· Registered
436 Posts
I use Revolution for heartworm and F/T prevention. I think the next pup will be put back on Heartguard and use Frontline as needed. I think it is more effective for ticks. I had a tick problem on my dogs last fall.

Loomisfun

· Registered
7,759 Posts
My annual visit cost me $54. That was for two dogs getting the all clear to restart Ivomec dosing(heartworm treatment).
I spend all day with my dogs and I am pretty in tune to them, if they breath differently I notice it like many of you would too. They are quite simple creatures in my mind, if they eat, drink, poop, pee daily I'm about 99% sure they are doing just fine.
Puppies are expensive to get on a road to good health but as adults you should enjoy a relatively inexpensive run until they are senior citizens barring any field catastrophes.

· Registered
3,254 Posts
2ESRGR8 said:
My annual visit cost me $54. That was for two dogs getting the all clear to restart Ivomec dosing(heartworm treatment).
I spend all day with my dogs and I am pretty in tune to them, if they breath differently I notice it like many of you would too. They are quite simple creatures in my mind, if they eat, drink, poop, pee daily I'm about 99% sure they are doing just fine.
Puppies are expensive to get on a road to good health but as adults you should enjoy a relatively inexpensive run until they are senior citizens barring any field catastrophes.
Like the ACL surgery Gordie will have next Friday.
Ticks, they are every where these days. Last fall/winter one dog contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, a tick borne disease. It cost quite a bit to diagnose, very little to treat, but I thought she was going to die. She looked and acted like a dying dog. All is well. Last year we cut back on the Frontline, why, I don't know. But we go to the UP many times a year and that place is full of ticks. Picked up ticks in the Pigeon River last weekend and have found them around down here too. (Maybe we just have them around our home, transplants from the UP) We probably also have a chance to pick them up (and many other creatures) at the many Trials and venues we attend, with dogs coming from many places.

· Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2ESRGR8 said:
My Vet no longer sells Advantix, too many adverse reactions at the site of application so he stopped selling it.
Why are you doing it anyway? Do you have a flea and tick problem?
Those pesticides are so effective why not start when you (if you ever do) get the pest problem? They kill the entire life cycle so you can be rid of it in weeks if not days. I haven't given a flea or tick treatment in two years, Setters have enough immune system weaknesses without this additional suppression of it.
Scott,

I'm surprised to hear that you don't give any flea/tick medications. For me, I would be worried about my dog bringing the pests into the household. I like your less is more approach to medications. I really do, but the tick thing seems like too much of a risk. Do the medications really have that much risk of side effects to the dog? Also, Im curious why your vet quit selling the Advantix. What extra risk does it carry?

In another thread someone recommended Wilson Vet Clinic in Romeo. Does anyone here know about them. I just think my vet is taking advantage of it's curtomers by charging such high prices. The idea of just "offering" extra services like flouride treatment and laser surgery really turn me off. I'm not cheap. I'll spend money where it needs to be spent, but nothing ticks me off more than to be taken advantage of.

· Premium Member
11,079 Posts
metro49 said:
someone recommended Wilson Vet Clinic in Romeo.
Get ahold of Tecumseh that is his vet- he speaks very highly of them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.