Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first year I will be hunting with my Omega and was wondering how you unload your gun each night. In the past I have shot it out, but I was wondering if I could just take the primer out and keep the gun locked in the truck(keep it cold, no condensation). Would this work daily for a week???
Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I have done that with no problems, but now I just pull the breech plug and push the load through and do a quick clean. First off, I don't want to keep my gun in the truck...it would be safe in my garage at night, but I'm not comfortable other places. Gun theft from vehicles seems to happen all to often. I would also have to leave the gun in the garage during the work day....no firearms allowed on the property....fed. offense in this case so that chance is not worth it.
With an inline, I would never shoot the load out except maybe at the end of the season...no need to make that kind of noise at the property, and I don't want to do a full clean after every hunt.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I loaded my Omega on the morning of opening day, hunted in the rain opening night, hunted several other days and finally shot a deer with it on the 20th without unloading. I would remove the primer after every hunt and bring the gun back into the house and lock it in the cabinet. I used to be concerned about moisture also, but didn't feel safe leaving the gun in the garage or locked in the truck. In my opinion you aren't going to have a moisture problem with a modern inline using a 209 primer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
don't worry about it, new inlines seal super tight. i always left mine loaded through the season in iowa which is basicly the month of december and part of january. I alway left it in the car or the garage between hunts though i think thats a good practice. one year i went through the season with it loaded, then as science sake i left it till the first part of febuary to shoot it out. not even a hang fire, so i continue te be lazy to this day. they're enough fun to clean as it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I made the unfortunate mistake of leaving the load inside the barrel of my TC Omega .50 cal and now when I look down my bore, I see rust.....I knew better, It's best to leave NOTHING to chance when we pay our hard earned money for a rifle. Let me add, my choice was mostly out of pure laziness. I guess I have learned my lesson and I too take the breech plug out and unload it each and every time. I would hate to see this happen to someone else, Just food for thought.

·
Premium Member
2,944 Posts
You do not need to unload it if you keep it ouside. No matter how tight the action is, you can still get condensation thru the metal and into the powder. Not worth missing a chance at a great buck, because you know, if it misfires it will be when you are sighted on a wallhanger. Leave it outside, somewhere safe.

I know one fool who used to leave his mz in his treestand. Used to do the same with his bow. Private property, never had it stolen, still, unbelievable ! :dizzy:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Last season my dad had the biggest buck in the county in his sights and he missfired. The powder was new but he didnt run a swab down the barrel to get the oil out like he usually does. We're still bummed about that one. Two BIG bucks in one year that got away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts