Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to ice fishing the bay, I've got a quad with a tow behind shanty and am looking for tips on how to take it out on the bay safely. I know to beware cracks, go slow and follow other tracks if they are there, but how do you traverse the ice on a quad/snowmobile but at the same time beware thin ice? Do you stop every so often and check ice thickness?

Any info is appreciated, I'm planning to go out Sunday morning heading straight out from the Kawkawlin river.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Most acess site out to the bay to go fishing will have some time of beaten trail from guys going out to fish and come in at night after fishing.If you stay on the path you should be ok to get out,but always remember that the bay shifts around with wind conditions,if you come to cracks you should always stop and check conditions before crossing and always carry gps to enter co/ordinates from shore to get u back.Ialways use my tracking mode to get me out and get me in by following my track on gps,its always a good thing always to go with someone else ,or follow some other fisherman that might be going out of the acess site your on.I have asked fisherman if they wont mind to follow them out cause I couldn't find some buddys to go with,9 times out of 10 they wont mind u following them.Just remember not too fish on top of the group when u get out there!;)

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Not so much thin ice as open water right now is the danger. Not a problem in the light, but traveling in the dark, bare ice and open water look the same, if traveling too fast you can't stop in time.

Has taken the lives of a few people over the years, sledders and quaders alike.

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
I would go out of a busier access rd if I was you, but that's just me. Follow a group of regulars out who know where to go and where not to go.

It's not fool proof, but less risky...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info! I live on the Kawkawlin river and want to be able to drive out from my home, that's why I use that route and not a more highly traveled one. I'm hoping to get a few others to go out with me, but if I don't I might be making some new friends on my trip out Sunday morning!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts