Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question,to satisfiy my curiousity when to lime and what are the benefits. I have planted my lawn from scratch in areas I used lime in others I haven't and never saw a difference.This area was all scotch pine also.I plan on doing a food plot and I will lime it, but I wonder if anyone has tried a planting without and how it turned out.

·
Registered
35,738 Posts
A question,to satisfiy my curiousity when to lime and what are the benefits. I have planted my lawn from scratch in areas I used lime in others I haven't and never saw a difference.This area was all scotch pine also.I plan on doing a food plot and I will lime it, but I wonder if anyone has tried a planting without and how it turned out.
Have you taken a soil sample and what were the results?

I have and can see the difference in my limed plots vs my unlimed plots. My soil ph averages in the mid 5s it's make up is mostly silty loam. I've limed about 60% of what I have but not all of it so I'm speaking from actual experience, not from what I've read in a book.

Here's my take on lime. You can successfully grow plots without lime but they will not be the same quality of plots where lime has been applied. Limed plots don't need as much fertilizer, taste better (try this one yourself) and ammended soils allows better micronutrient uptake by the plant. Lime adds calcium, magnesium and releases the phosphorus in the soil so it can be used.

Bulk lime is real cheap to buy but realatively expensive to truck. It's hard to spread vast quantites without the proper equipment. Does it help.......Yes. Can you plant without it.......Yes, unless you have extreme conditions.

The last time I spread lime I bought 25.4 tons of lime for $86, trucking cost $214, lime spreader rental $40 plus $1 a ton. I rented the conservation district's spreader and hired a neighbor with his tractor to spread it. I will do it again within the next few years.

My gallery pictures show alot of what I've accomplished over the last 8 years.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Luv2, Very nice food plots. I have made progress, but my goal is get my plots to look like yours. Good Job. Lew

·
Registered
514 Posts
Once you get the PH up where you want it, how often do you reapply?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts