Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot a doe with the bow today that had a broken back leg, right about at the tarsal gland. The leg below that was swollen way up. It looks like the deer got the wound within the last week. The bones had broke the skin on the leg. Probably got shot there or hit by a car. The deer had clean looking organs and a pretty clean body other than that. It had a hard time getting around and it was by itself.
I plan on taking the non wounded back leg, the two shoulders, and the back straps. Think I have anything to worry about when it comes to eating the meat? Any concern about a bodily infection?

All opinions welcome, thanks

pikemaster789

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I stupidly nipped the guts when I was gutting the deer so I have to avoid the gut cavity, but other than that there was not "rotten" smell, and them meat looks good.

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
The meat will be fine. The meat in the hind quarter of the injured leg would be fine too but it's up to you.

The last two years our group has taken a wounded animal and the meat was fine. One was a buck that had been shot with an arrow in the leg at some point. The broadhead was still in there and the area was swollen and the bone had fused back together. Very nasty looking but the meat was a-ok. The other deer, a doe, had a broken rear leg but we couldn't determine a reason. Bone was sticking out through the skin, area was swollen etc, etc but again the meat was a-ok.

Congrats on the doe!!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I shot a nice 9pt buck a few years back that had a neck injury, (someone took a neck shot with a bow and cut the back of his neck pretty bad). The hair on half his neck came off when I shot him and the skin was all discolored from infections. Which was too bad cause I would have had him mounted, probably the 4th biggest deer I've taken. The deer was fine to eat but we didn't eat the neck meat cause it had a slightly foul odor.

Good job on harvesting the wounded animal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts