Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 21 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found the second dead buck on our property today and it's only 20 acres ! The smaller one I found during bow season with a rifle hole thru it's hindquarters and the 8 point had a partial broadhead in it's neck. I realize there probably was very little blood on the neck shot but I hear way too many shots about midnight off in the distance when I get home from work. I killed two six points a few years ago with my shotgun and found Satellite broadheads both lodged in the front of their boney chest in almost the same place ! DON'T TAKE FRONTAL SHOTS WITH A BOW !
142322291_1056499998203404_4023837233086540783_n.jpg
142220929_1056500031536734_457984300537087388_n.jpg

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Kinda hard to like that.
Crippled and unrecovered deer sucks for sure. I have often heard of guys killing deer that had been previously wounded - some even with multiple broadheads found while butchering. I think the vast majority of these cases have all been from Lower Michigan, although I am sure it happens up here as well. Personally, I have never killed or butchered a deer that had been previously wounded except for a buck I killed in late season one year that had a front leg dangling from an earlier bullet wound.

Poor shot selection as mentioned by the op is likely the cause for many of them although I am sure that there have been a lot of unrecovered deer from more ethical shots as well. Things don't always go as planned in the real world. All we can do is try to keep practicing good shooting skills so we can be as proficient as possible when we go hunting.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Almost forgot... I did shoot a doe in 2004 that had an arrow stuck in its front shoulder. Our neighbor shot it the first week in October during early archery season and never recovered it. I shot it on Thanksgiving weekend during firearms season so it carried the arrow for 6-7 weeks. It was limping but other than that it didn't really look too much worse for the wear.

The arrow really wasn't all that far off the mark but it just hit solid bone and just stuck there. I gave the arrow back to my neighbor but he declined to take the deer since I had already tagged it.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
awlways a bummer. Last year was the first year in a long time I didnt find a dead head. It happens alot in northern michigan as well. Deer are tough, people dont have enough patience. Everyone makes a bad shot once in a while. Its terrible when it happens. As long as you put everything you have into the recovery processs your did your best. i dont like it when people give up without making a real effort to recover the animal..

·
Super Moderator
35,136 Posts
Crippled and unrecovered deer sucks for sure. I have often heard of guys killing deer that had been previously wounded - some even with multiple broadheads found while butchering. I think the vast majority of these cases have all been from Lower Michigan, although I am sure it happens up here as well. Personally, I have never killed or butchered a deer that had been previously wounded except for a buck I killed in late season one year that had a front leg dangling from an earlier bullet wound.

Poor shot selection as mentioned by the op is likely the cause for many of them although I am sure that there have been a lot of unrecovered deer from more ethical shots as well. Things don't always go as planned in the real world. All we can do is try to keep practicing good shooting skills so we can be as proficient as possible when we go hunting.
I think we killed 2 or 3 that had been wounded before in NE lower. But they don't really get old enough to have battle scars lol

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
thats unfortunate but I dont think Im the only one who knows "that guy" who wounds more deer then successfully recovers. A guy I work with has wounded 3 deer in 6 years and finally killed a doe this year. Its got to be embarassing claiming to be a hunter knowing you wound more deer then you kill. Same guy takes a standing shot at a gong 50 yards away and hit it by luck and says his sights are on and ready to hunt. Pretends to hunt with a crossbow but doesn't own a rangefinder...some people suck.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Can anyone explain to me why folks shoulder pin deer? I really started paying attention to pics posted here this year. Is it a gun hunting thing translated to a crossbow thing? I’m not trying to be an a$$. I’m legitimately curious. I’ve always shot lungs because I value the meat. I shoulder pinned a deer when I first was getting into hunting. 300mag. I lost a good chuck of meat on the entry front quarter and lost most of the opposite/exit quarter. First and last time I’ve done it. That was 27yr ago. I just don’t understand the benefit of aiming shoulder.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Any more I only intentionally shoulder shoot if I'm using a muzzle loader, because it can make a big difference with those.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
That's a ridiculous statement.

L & O
I don't hunt with a xbow. Also never owned a rangefinder in my life. I somehow get by with doing my homework around my stands, lol. Not sure if I suck or not...:(

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Can anyone explain to me why folks shoulder pin deer? I really started paying attention to pics posted here this year. Is it a gun hunting thing translated to a crossbow thing? I’m not trying to be an a$$. I’m legitimately curious. I’ve always shot lungs because I value the meat. I shoulder pinned a deer when I first was getting into hunting. 300mag. I lost a good chuck of meat on the entry front quarter and lost most of the opposite/exit quarter. First and last time I’ve done it. That was 27yr ago. I just don’t understand the benefit of aiming shoulder.
Are you asking about with a crossbow or with a gun? With a crossbow I still try to avoid shoulder hits, but I'm becoming more and more convinced that in a world of 400fps crossbows that it isn't really a problem. Seen enough double-punched through-and-through shoulder hits in the last few years that I'm not as concerned. Was with my dad when he had a pass-through on a 350lb black bear with his Ravin and 2 blade rage right through both shoulders.

With a gun? I'll punch shoulders every. single. time. I hunt around a couple large cattail swamps and I have zero interest in pulling deer out of there. I've also had a couple bucks I've shot behind the shoulder that have left marginal crappy blood trails. In both cases I recovered the deer, but not sure I would have if there wasn't snow on the ground. I'll do everything I can to drop them where they stand. The benefits far far outweigh a potential loss of some of the meat.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just found the second dead buck on our property today and it's only 20 acres ! The smaller one I found during bow season with a rifle hole thru it's hindquarters and the 8 point had a partial broadhead in it's neck. I realize there probably was very little blood on the neck shot but I hear way too many shots about midnight off in the distance when I get home from work. I killed two six points a few years ago with my shotgun and found Satellite broadheads both lodged in the front of their boney chest in almost the same place ! DON'T TAKE FRONTAL SHOTS WITH A BOW ! View attachment 636893 View attachment 636895
What county was this if you don't mind me asking? my dad hit an identical half rack buck, similar to the one in your photo and I tracked it for 400+ yards finding very little blood from a gun, I pulled a dog on it and everything and truly did all I could to try and find it but no luck. never saw him again on cam so I was assuming he holed up somewhere and died.

·
Registered
523 Posts
What county was this if you don't mind me asking? my dad hit an identical half rack buck, similar to the one in your photo and I tracked it for 400+ yards finding very little blood from a gun, I pulled a dog on it and everything and truly did all I could to try and find it but no luck. never saw him again on cam so I was assuming he holed up somewhere and died.
Nevermind this question, i see you said you found the half rack during bow season with a gunshot wound, my dad didnt shoot at the one he hit until late Nov.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

1 - 21 of 22 Posts