Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys wait until the pike stops running or grab the line right away? I haven't fished for them a whole lot, but have been out 3-4 times this year and I have been waiting until the pike stops running. Success rate hasn't been that great; didn't know if it's due to letting them run or just bad luck. I think I'm 6 for 20 on flags so far. I know there's a lot of hammer handles in there, so maybe that is why. For my setup I use a size 6 treble, a sliding sinker and 20lbs braid. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
293 Posts
I go straight mono to a #10 treble at the biggest. As for hook setting I usually begin to apply pressure as the run starts to slow down and give just a short quick tug. I've lost a few to their teeth cutting the line but I've also landed some 30+ inchers on the same set up. I, too, use the egg sinker above a swivel. I use the same set up for lakers. After one or two flags/fish I'll re-tie the hook in case the line gets nicked.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I run circle hooks and set the hook by just a smooth pull and continue pulling in line. I will grab the line when the fish is swimming. If the fish isn't swimming I wait a second to see if it will take off again. I don't give them much time to swallow the bait with the circle hooks.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
it was sort of old school , to let the pike run, stop, then when it ran again hit it, It was believed that the fish stopped swallowed, then went on. Today , as above, I use circle hooks 5/0- 6/0 . hit them whenever you want, but you don't really set the hook they set themselves, you just put the brakes on and bring them back, also the hookset 90% of the time will be in the corner of the mouth for easy release if they are small. You said your lake had some hammer handles, back in the day of using trebles or quickstrike rigs, I released a lot of fish, ( undersized) with blood coming out of both gills knowing I had killed them. buy a pack of circles , you won't be disappointed . If the spinner is really cranking, I may let it go till it slows a little just so don't pull it out , but mostly you just stop it, and bring it back in, good luck you just stop the run at any time.one more benefit , if the hook is in the corner of the mouth all most all of the leader is out of the mouth, disarming the chance of the pike biting through your leader. Go to "iceshanty.com, under tipups, and a guy , with pictures show how to set up circle leaders , very simple. I think " whiteys leaders " or something like that

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
OOOOPs , go to Ice shanty.com, click community, scroll all the way down to Northern pike,, at the bottom of pg one is : Whyties quickstrike and circle rigs" . there is also a tip up section but he gives step by step on how to tie cir. rigs. good luck

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the replies. I'll have to give the circle hooks a shot and not wait so long on the retrieve.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Rule of thumb for me, if I am close to the tip up and I see the flag go, I give it time to run, normally until it runs. If I am a long ways away from the flag, I will pull it as soon as I get there.

Sometimes its tough, but be really patient when that flag goes up. The best pike fisherman I know wait for that stop. Once they line starts going after the stop, you set the hook, as the hook is now back in the gullet.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
I don't set the hook. I use small trebles, and while the pike is running... I'll gently start bringing it in and the small treble usually finds it's way to the corner of the pike's mouth... Most of the time by pulling gently and slowly I can get it most of the way back to the hole before it realizes there's something wrong. When the pike finally does realize what's going on, it goes apeshіt but has already hung itself. ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have read about using dead smelt for bait. As I am nowhere near a lake containing smelt where would I get some? No frozen ones in local grocery store.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Smelt and herring on a small treble is the many way I fish. A lot of times the flag goes and they just sit there. You don't catch as many using smelt but some days it's nuts!!! The dead bait I feel is better early and late ice. The herring works but not as good as smelt in my option.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I let em stop or atleast slow to a crawl, I like to feel the weight on the line before trying to get a hookset. Nothing beats chasing flags all day.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think the size of the bait and how you hook it makes a huge difference on what size of circle or octopus hook to use, it would be nice to see some pictures or a reference of shiner size vs hook size when hooked through the back, nose, or otherwise.... a 2-3 inch shiner vs a 6 inch sucker... etc... for bait... maybe less difference on a treble vs. a single hook when you are using a circle I think you want a bigger hook for better % hookups....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts