Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched for info on this but am a little confused. When I rig my tipups with smelt, should I use a treble hook attatched directly to the wire leader? Also I heard of guys using a second single hook attatched to the smelt. Thoughts? I know lots of you have more experiance with pike than me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
With dead smelt, I have always used what's called a swedish hook. It's huge, and you basically thread the smelt on so it hangs level like it was swimming. You might want to try doing a search about this, I can't remember the title, but we discussed this a couple of weeks ago. I think the title was something like " anyone ever use dead smelt for pike"

Mike

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
if you set up a quickstrike rig just right, bottom hook through the bottom lip, second hook through the back just beyond the dorsal (or close to it, depending on bait), it should hang horizontally.

steve

·
Registered
673 Posts
Make sure you break the air bladder next to the spine when you hook them . Usually isnt a problem when you use the swedish hooks . I always carry some #4 & #6 finish nails with me to stick in their mouth to level them up in the water . Also works to break the bladder . You'll know when its not broken because they want to float up when you put them in the water .

·
Registered
535 Posts
mustad makes swede hooks you want i believe 1/0 size the total length of the hook is about 6 or 7 inches thread the smelt from back to front leaving the hook inside just behind its head

1 - 6 of 6 Posts