Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
In ultra clear water at night, the very bright moonshine type glow seems too much. The older Cleo/KO paint seems more effective. For reasons that are unclear moonshine type glow has been better to me from dusk to dark than dark to dawn. I’ve caught fish in the dark on non-glow spoons (including browns, that I have never caught on a glow spoon), but as the ‘dude says kings seem to prefer them.
I personally have never seen a bright moonshine spoon out fish a regular glow spoon at night. They changed the paint on the new cleo's and KO's like 2 years ago. The old spoons have a dull flat finish to them, the newer ones have a shiny finish to them. The older spoons glowed better than the newer ones do, but some nights they seem to like a spoon thats not as bright. A buddy used a newer KO and did quite well with it last year.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Anything with a green glow at night is usually a good start, try different sink rates. Personally from what I have seen (which I rarely chuck spoons but have spent alot of time watching others do so while I'm staring at my bottom rods) alot of bites come on the fall or a slow reel close to the surface.

So just vary your sink rate and try all over in the water.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
730 Posts
Gold ko wobblers also silver and blue work well when active. I will be up there almost every weekend from mid august thru sep you can pm me if you want better details. Oh yeah the salmon in my avatar was a 26 pounder right off the harbor at the mouth of the bear river on a blue and silver wobbler

·
Banned
1,842 Posts
1.Blue/white green glow Cleo 3/4 oz
2. 5 dot green glow Cleo 3/4 oz
3. Firetiger glow Cleo 3/4 oz
4 3/4oz green glow cast master
5. 1/2 oz Mongolian beef glow
6. 1/2 oz bloody nose glow cleo
7. Any 1/2-3/4oz cyclops glow
8. #7? Glow meps spinner (believe#7, could be larger but has a #5 Colorado style blade ).
9. Green n white thunder Jr deep diver.. I've hooked a bunch of kings off the short pier with them and always have a few with me..
I hope this list helps..

·
Registered
14,168 Posts
Baramundi Maulers were popular in Oscoda, because Bunyantown stocked/sold them. They had a ton of them. But I didn't see them being used a lot of other places that weren't nearby.

I'd say the single spoons I see used the most for pier Kings are Little Cleos, and KO Wobblers. Glow green catches a lot of fish. Glow Blue catches almost as many.

·
Registered
108 Posts
On the Cleo's topic, dare I admit to be relatively new at spoon chuck'n...

I got a multipack of Cleo's some time ago. Some have split rings, some don't🤔.
Is this an intended difference, a lazy factory, or perhaps I got some counterfeits.

I also wonder if a swivel should make its way onto said split ring, or perhaps up higher between main line and leader.

And, my saltwater mind wants to put Siwash hooks on 'em. The stock hooks appear a little lame. I could see a ballchain swivel go between the spoon the hook too, you know to put a little flexible weight on the arse might enhance that wobble.

While I'm at it, any split-shot tricks?

Any talk on the terminal tackle for rigging Cleo's for casting would be very welcome. Thanks for sharing people!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Unless something has changed recently, Cleos that are 2/3 oz have split rings while the same length 2/5 oz do not.

Most of the discussion here is on casting for Kings. Most guys throw 3/4 oz Cleos and KOs for them. When it’s calm and quiet as opposed to breezy and choppy smaller spoons have a place for throwing smaller for kings. Also cohos and steelhead react better to those smaller cleos as well as the half oz KO. Smallest snap swivel that the tip of the spoon cannot jam sideways in the snap is what your looking for in any size. I went through a love affair (I need to get a life), with the 2/3 Cleo, 1/2 oz KO, and 5/8 Oz Kroc all of which had split rings. I typically tied on a swivel only and threaded the spoons on. Then they went to solid rings on the Kroc.

·
Registered
655 Posts
On the Cleo's topic, dare I admit to be relatively new at spoon chuck'n...

I got a multipack of Cleo's some time ago. Some have split rings, some don't🤔.
Is this an intended difference, a lazy factory, or perhaps I got some counterfeits.

I also wonder if a swivel should make its way onto said split ring, or perhaps up higher between main line and leader.

And, my saltwater mind wants to put Siwash hooks on 'em. The stock hooks appear a little lame. I could see a ballchain swivel go between the spoon the hook too, you know to put a little flexible weight on the arse might enhance that wobble.

While I'm at it, any split-shot tricks?

Any talk on the terminal tackle for rigging Cleo's for casting would be very welcome. Thanks for sharing people!
I think you’ll find that most guys are using superlines, barrel swivel, leader material and a clip. Use whatever hook you’re confident with but carry a sharpener and keep them needle sharp. Kings have a hard mouth and if after 2,001 casts, one hits, I want it pinned. I’ve never seen hooks on a chain out there.

156 Posts
out of curiosity has anyone casted twitching jigs off the pier/surf? Tempted to try them and see if i have any success with them. Would use them in the river, but our regulations doesn't allow them. Seems to be a very popular method out west.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Oddly a couple years ago on a calm September morning in grand haven the pier started out loaded with guys which rapidly petered out nearly fishless. A young guy came out to fish for “whatever bites”, with a three inch twister tail and caught a couple 4-5 pound cohos.

I went back to my vehicle, to grab a couple steelhead jigs (but nope, they weren’t there). I’ve nearly worn the paint off a couple waiting for a similar day. There’s another guy I saw getting a bobber attacked by a coho. He switched over to a steelhead marabou jig and caught a coho too.

·
Registered
655 Posts
out of curiosity has anyone casted twitching jigs off the pier/surf? Tempted to try them and see if i have any success with them. Would use them in the river, but our regulations doesn't allow them. Seems to be a very popular method out west.
Interesting method. I bet it would work but I’d get worn out rippin that thing. Casting is hard enough after 3 hours. Which reg are you referring to?

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
Split rings on Acme spoons are essentially randomly delivered. I asked my local shop if he can order them explicitly with rings and he said no. You could probably mail order them directly from Acme that way with a specific note with your order.

White Mr. Twister style grubs is a key lure used in the harbors where Splake are stocked, I believe.

Overall though I prefer a heavier lure to generate the longest cast = the most time in the water, and the most water covered. So I like a 1 oz. Kastmaster sometimes, particularly when windy.

Fire Tiger pattern plugs are quite popular - but you can’t throw them very far. I have definitely seen the plugs outfished by the spoons.

·
Registered
29 Posts
was told that years back people used to kill the salmon casting these, barramundi's maulers. View attachment 778039
Loved the Maulers back in the day. Living in SE Michigan it was a 2hr 45 minute bombing run either way to fish Oscoda or Grand Haven. For whatever reasons, Maulers caught more fish in Oscoda and Cleos seemed better at Grand Haven. The other lure that worked well for both kings and walleye (in the same night) at Oscoda was a firetiger size 11 countdown rapala reeled ridiculously slow just off the bottom (lakeside). I never quite understood how a lure that didn't glow and that was barely even moving attracted fish but they'd slam it.

156 Posts
Interesting method. I bet it would work but I’d get worn out rippin that thing. Casting is hard enough after 3 hours. Which reg are you referring to?
I can't image how my biceps would feel after jigging for a few hours and THEN hooking into a 20lb king. No weighted hooks allowed in most rivers. Also don't really want to be called out for snagging on rivers that it is allowed. Looks a little suspicious when you're constantly ripping the lure in the river LOL, also too much wood in Michigan.

Oddly a couple years ago on a calm September morning in grand haven the pier started out loaded with guys which rapidly petered out nearly fishless. A young guy came out to fish for “whatever bites”, with a three inch twister tail and caught a couple 4-5 pound cohos.

I went back to my vehicle, to grab a couple steelhead jigs (but nope, they weren’t there). I’ve nearly worn the paint off a couple waiting for a similar day. There’s another guy I saw getting a bobber attacked by a coho. He switched over to a steelhead marabou jig and caught a coho too.
I'll defiantly bring some for fun to try it out. Who knows maybe they'll be more effective than black spinners for coho.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts