Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be in Harbor Springs area for a week in mid August. I mostly fish for salmon and steelhead in rivers, but figured with not a whole lot else to do up there I'd give fishing from the break wall or pier a try. Was just wondering if anybody had any tips. Was planning on just fan casting 3/4oz spoons in blue and green colors, and trying both daytime and night. Any help is appreciated.

Also thinking about launching my power drifter in the harbor and maybe trolling around a bit. Any input as to whether that is worth me hauling it up would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Well, I can’t seem to recall a pier or river mouth on the Harbor Springs side of Little T Bay. You might start with MIDNR fishing reports for Bear River and little traverse bay…

Seems like there’s not been much lately but Lakers.

Edit: oh heck, I forgot; you’re maybe 20 minutes to Burt lake from there. Some interesting trolling opportunities there….

Reactions: Lamarsh

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I would say casting in the harbor where the bear river dumps in might be good. You never know what might swim by.

Reactions: Lamarsh

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would throw some lures off the pier and in the harbor area. Spoons and thundersticks if you have them. Mid-August is a little early for Petoskey most years, but there should be some fish around.

156 Posts
Going to be in Harbor Springs area for a week in mid August. I mostly fish for salmon and steelhead in rivers, but figured with not a whole lot else to do up there I'd give fishing from the break wall or pier a try. Was just wondering if anybody had any tips. Was planning on just fan casting 3/4oz spoons in blue and green colors, and trying both daytime and night. Any help is appreciated.

Also thinking about launching my power drifter in the harbor and maybe trolling around a bit. Any input as to whether that is worth me hauling it up would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Charlevoix's Pier is another nearby option.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I can’t seem to recall a pier or river mouth on the Harbor Springs side of Little T Bay. You might start with MIDNR fishing reports for Bear River and little traverse bay…
My plan was to drive the 10 mins or so to Petoskey and fish off that breaker wall by where the river dumps into that marina area. Don't care if it's just lakers, would rather have kings or steelies, but I catch and release, so really anything lakers, salmon steelies is fun for me.

If I get a half day or more of time I was going to throw the waders on and hit a river. Trip is mostly a family and golf trip, and I got a 2 month old, so screwing around casting a spoon or crank from shore might be all I can scavenge up.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Little Cleo's often work!
For casting off shore I usually use 3/4oz cleos or ko wobblers.

How do you like to fish your spoons in the big water like this? You let them sink to or close to bottom?

·
Premium Member
2,323 Posts
Have always wanted to fish the Petoskey breakwall. Go before dawn, throw some glow stuff. Greenglo Wobbler is my favorite. Charge with your cell phone flash. Stay on track with the fam during the day that way.

Otherwise up that way, Trout & Golf might be pretty darn close to each other, just sayin’

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A friend’s son has a small Boston whaler and crushes smallmouth all summer long
I get into enough smallies down here in SE mich, when I'm up there I want to try to tangle with something different. But I'd never complain if that's what I ended up getting into.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's a tip. Don't wait til Dawn to start fishing. Any silver fish that are cruising the pier are likely to scatter once the light comes up, unless the onshore water is cold.
So, hit it at night? Should the focus be on glow in the dark spoons, or do to think normal spoons (just blue/silver or gold, green/silver or gold) would work at night as well?

Reactions: fisheater

·
Registered
492 Posts
In ultra clear water at night, the very bright moonshine type glow seems too much. The older Cleo/KO paint seems more effective. For reasons that are unclear moonshine type glow has been better to me from dusk to dark than dark to dawn. I’ve caught fish in the dark on non-glow spoons (including browns, that I have never caught on a glow spoon), but as the ‘dude says kings seem to prefer them.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts