Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the methods that you use to fillet a pike and remove the "Y" bones in the process?

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
:help: This method has always worked well for me.. you will end up with 5 boneless fillets..
#1 lay pike on stomach, cut down to backbone just behind head,slant knife towards tail of fish,stay on top of backbone, cut off top fillet in front of rear top fin.
#2 Lay fish on either side,,make a cut just behind the rear lower fins from top to stomach of fish only to back bone.do not cut through bone,,depending in size of pike, place your knife any where from 1' to 4' from first cut towards tail, make a second cut from top to bottom only to the bone,slant knife towards tail and remove second fillet..
#3 turn pike over and repeat process.. you now have 3 boneless fillets...
#4 Place fish on stomach, as you look down on fish you should see head, exposed backbone and the tips of "Y" bones,,cut flesh on outside of "Y" bones as closely as you can from first cut at end of ribs up to the cut behind the head.. fillet should fall open as you get to stomach..remove fillet...
#5 Turn fish over and repeat process on other side...
You should end up with 5 boneless pike fillets,, the carcass will only contain the head, backbone and "Y" bones ,stomach contents, a 1' to 4' strip on skin and flesh that hides a series of bones thet encircle the fish, and the bone to the tail...

You won't believe how wonderful pike can taste when your not digging for a bone between your first and second molar...
Hope this has helped, good luck...
Ed

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That's my preferred method also. It takes some practice, but once you get used to it you end up with some real nice fillets.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
fishinmachine2 said:
I wouldnt waste my time with those boney preditors.:yikes:

Scott
You're missing out on some really tasty fish. The bigger, the easier to fillet and find the bones. I've never had anyone show me how to get those darn Y bones out, so I only keep the bigger ones, so I can find and pick out those deadly bones.

·
Registered
602 Posts
show me the picture:gaga:

·
Registered
947 Posts
fishinmachine2 said:
I wouldnt waste my time with those boney preditors.:yikes:

Scott
I will gladly take any pike you don't want.;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey FishinMachine2 - you need to encourage these guys! The more time they spend fishing for pike the less competition you have for the fish you prefer!:lol:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
thats the way we do it also:corkysm55

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I spear pike and I've still never been able to figure out the saga of the Y bone. I just tollerate them now. I've got an excellent pike casserole recipe if anyone is interested. It also works great on walleye too.
Sautee 1 chopped green pepper, 1 chopped onion and 1 chopped tomato, 1 celery stalk (yes tomatoes), until soft. While the veggies soften up, dry two or three pieces of bread in the oven on broil til it gets hard like garlic toast. then cut it into small cubes(croutons would work the same). Then grease a casserole pan and lay the pike fillets on the bottom of the pan. Then add a layer of sauteed veggies, then a layer of swiss cheese. I prefer sliced swiss because you can spread it more evenly. After you've added the swiss cheese, add 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, or two if desired. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, when its done, call me, and I'll come eat it with you.:lol: :lol: The recipe actually calls for a regular cream broth, but I improvised, because I thought cream of mushroom sounded better. Its pretty darn good.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Use the 5 fillet method illustrated on the ontario link above and dont keep any pike less than eight pounds. You should come out with some pretty good fillets. I dont mess with the pike anymore myself. I throw them back and keep after the wallygators.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
i just fillet them up normal and pull the y bones out AFTER its cooked.
they come right out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts