Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I,made my first river salmon fishing trip,to Tippy dam,Wed..I,landed my first two hook-ups,on 10lb ande line.I,ended up 2 for 5.Someone had left a stringer,on the bank and went home,so I,got my limit.I,had caught salmon on the lake before,with trolling equipment,but this was my first time on spinning tackle,in the river.Was great fun,I'll have to do it again.We used small yarn flies,on a 6-7 foot searching leader.I, couldn't believe the snagging going on,and that almost everyone else was using lead weights with 2 trebles.I, never saw a C.O.,in the 9 hours,I,was there.My buddy was hooking more legally,with a #12 treble,than they were , with there monster hooks.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Tippys a freaking Circus. The state of Mi could fill up our national deficit on snagging tickets !!! I was there once and wont be back during salmon season ever again it was too much.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yeah, I'm with you guys on the snagging. I went last year and caught 15-18 in one day up there but most of them were due to snagging. I threw them all back but the guys next to me were keeping them. DNR should really crack down on that and do something about that. I.E. like volunteers to help report snaggers. I'll be going up there in 2 weeks and i'll be reporting my share of snaggers. If i get the chance.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Originally posted by Asian Archer
Yeah, I'm with you guys on the snagging. I went last year and caught 15-18 in one day up there but most of them were due to snagging. I threw them all back but the guys next to me were keeping them.
A.A,
I am sorta confused by this statement. Are you saying you were snagging fish on purpose and then releasing?

Also, we already have a volunteeer program. They had it this following weekend and several of our members were there.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
This is a controversial issue...but I'll try to keep this clean. When fishing for salmon, the fish swim with their mouth open. A line, whether with a spinner, a fly, or a triple-rigged-lead-pound-ball can and often will get caught in the fish's mouth. This feels very much like the strike of a salmon...so the angler sets the hook. When the fish is landed, the angler sees the fish is hooked in the side of the mouth...at which time he/she makes a decision...was this fish striking my lure or did it get caught up in the line? It is a subject very debated and very heated.

Stelmon, I was with A.A. last year, and I can tell you that these fish were mostly unintentionally tightlined. The fish are stacked in that area so thick that it is almost unavoidable. He did catch a few on a fly rod that had the fly IN the mouth...but he let the one he landed go...it was an older fish, plus we didn't plan to take any home. Some fish were unintentionally snagged...when using a spinner, sometimes the fish are in there so thick that you cannot help but smack one or two in the dorsal. Sometimes they stick, but most of the time the spinner blades keep the hook from snagging the fish. My point is, A.A. is a great fisherman, and does not fish illegally...and will NOT keep an illegally hooked fish.

Does the volunteer program only go once a year? I heard about it, but couldn't get up there that weekend. I heard of a volunteer CO program. I wonder if I volunteered for a CO that I could write tickets?! Anyone know of this program, and how does one go about reporting snaggers on the river? Call a CO, yeah, but does anyone have a phone number to share? I just found justification for my cell phone! :D

·
Registered
480 Posts
The Volunteer Conservation Officer program was eliminated a year ago; several reasons were given, all questionable. It was a good program, but opposed by several influential high level people in the Law division. Can you say POLITICS? Don't get me started!!
If you observe snagging or any other illegal outdoor-related operations at anytime or anyplace in Michigan, call the RAP Hotline at 1-800-292-7800 immediately. They will contact a CO that is in the area to respond or investigate. Get as much info as possible (descriptions of individual(s), license plate numbers, vehicle descriptions, etc., but don't confront the people involved, just report what you have observed. In many counties, the sheriff's department can reach locally assigned CO's through their dispatch system, as well.
Butch

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just wanted to clear things up that in my above post I inadvertently foul hooked those fish. I never intentionally tried to "Snag" them. In fact even the ones that I did hook legally I threw back as well. I have been fishing since I was 4 years old and was raised a responsible fisherman and I would never do something as rash as take fish illegally. In addition, I would report anyone that I caught intentionally snagging. So to those of you out there that were confused with that statement here is the answer to your confusion.
AA

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
I fished the same period but was only at Tippy long enough to launch my boat.

I did see CO's working the creeks. We all know snagging occurs at Tippy but it is worse in the creeks. The water is skinny and shallow. When the CO arrived the cars were parked all up the road. I was afraid I wouldn't find a hole to fish. It was amazing, he walked along the banks and everyone was leaving. Crazy isn't it.

I soon found a hole that held fish, went 1 for 3 and was given another hen by an angler nearby after I told him I wanted two hens for relatives and spawn for myself. I later took my dad and Jessy to the same spot where Jessy was 1 for 3 and my dad and I 0 for like 12 in two hours. Jessy's fish was foul hooked but we let him land it (a thrill either way for a 15 year who never landed a salmon) and promptly released it. If it wasn't for the CO those fish wouldn't have been there to hook. Also, this trib has cold water with the ability to hold salmon through smolting better than Tippy. It's unfortunate we don't have enough CO's to handle all of our waters but I appreciated this man's work on this day.

My suggestion is to go exploring, Tippy is one of many of places where you can catch fish.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gunrod,if that is your picture in the margin,I, think,we saw you when we got there.We,got there about 4:30,WED.;Sep.24.I,think you were just coming in as we were getting ready to fish.We fished till midnight,cleaned our fish and drove home.I,was amazed at all the row,left at the fish cleaning station.

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
I'll tell you what's even sicker is walking through the woods year after year and seeing discarded poached Salmon either partially cleaned or not cleaned at all lying around to rot. I saw it again this weekend. I big garbage bag full (complete with the bag), left to rot.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I,agree Steve.Here in Eaton county someone has taken to throwing deer carcasses in the Thornapple river.From now till the end of muzzle loader season,every bridge from Potterville to Vermontville(about 15-20 miles)will get from 5-15 carcasses,thrown in the river.Some will just have the horns or head removed,others will be minus the tenderloins,but still have lots of meat left.I,don't understand the thrill of just killing something they don't intend to use.Or the need to trash my favorite fishing holes.It is totally disgusting,to have to clean deer guts off my pike lures.The local garbage companies never complain,if its in the trash.Then its gone and not annoying everyone else.Or maybe thats the point.

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
Not me. My only trip to Tippy was a float from Tippy to High Bridge. I launched at 11am and arrived at High Bridge around 8pm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts