Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished all night at Tippy. Threw everything in my box at them with no strikes. Saw a couple being cleaned but no fish landed near me. Will try a couple other spots today. Cold as hell this morning .

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Well, you answered my question of if I should have waited another week to try it.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will give you another report tomorrow. Was just drinking a beer with a charter boat captain and he said the Steelhead are miles out still in the lake. Everything is running very late this year.

·
Super Moderator
20,541 Posts
Got the same story from a friend who just got back Thursday. Only a handful of line-shy fish milling around Suicide. Hardly any bumping the coffer.

They're kinda stuck in the their ways and didn't seek out any spots in the Lower River or in the Bear.

If it doesn't happen in the next week...

·
Registered
785 Posts
Got the same story from a friend who just got back Thursday. Only a handful of line-shy fish milling around Suicide. Hardly any bumping the coffer.

They're kinda stuck in the their ways and didn't seek out any spots in the Lower River or in the Bear.

If it doesn't happen in the next week...
I fished the Betsie on Sat. Covered a lot of water/ground, saw a few fish being fought and lost, same as me. Everyone I talked to was the same, a few fish around but pretty thin pickings. Saw a few in holes or moving. I was floating spawn and looked like everyone I observed were bottom bouncing something. Was going to head for Bear Creek / Lower but got talking with a group of nice young guys in the lot from Lansing and they came up looking for fish after trying both for 2 days, so didn't do it. Good luck all, I think I am waiting for steel now...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fished the Big Man Friday - Monday with nothing to show for it. Very little action at Tippy Dam. I walked about three miles of Bear Creek and saw a few fish but they were not interested in striking anything I had to offer. I think I am all done with King Salmon fishing. When do the Steelhead start running?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Already being targeted down river, larger numbers up higher in the river once we get some good rain. Typically they are around by halloween.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I fished the Betsie on Sat. Covered a lot of water/ground, saw a few fish being fought and lost, same as me. Everyone I talked to was the same, a few fish around but pretty thin pickings. Saw a few in holes or moving. I was floating spawn and looked like everyone I observed were bottom bouncing something. Was going to head for Bear Creek / Lower but got talking with a group of nice young guys in the lot from Lansing and they came up looking for fish after trying both for 2 days, so didn't do it. Good luck all, I think I am waiting for steel now...
Pretty sure I know the guys you are talking about in the parking lot. Two brothers from Lansing and probably a buddy of there's. Them and a couple other buddies of mine have been hittin the betsie and the bear quite a bit and I hear the bear is real bad this year. Even the spots that are stacked and ya got to walk a few miles. Pretty disappointing.

·
Registered
607 Posts
We did decent at Suicide and at Tunk. Gotta fish the dark water and pools. Stay off the spawners on gravel if you want bites. Even in that darker water I had to go to 6lb before I started getting bites because ofthe high sun and water clarity. There were quite a few steelhead and coho around also. But we fished from a boat and had better access to better spots and less pressured areas.

·
Registered
785 Posts
We did decent at Suicide and at Tunk. Gotta fish the dark water and pools. Stay off the spawners on gravel if you want bites. Even in that darker water I had to go to 6lb before I started getting bites because ofthe high sun and water clarity. There were quite a few steelhead and coho around also. But we fished from a boat and had better access to better spots and less pressured areas.
Thanks for the report HH2. I went down to my steel set up with 6 also a few weeks ago and got a few more chances. Makes it interesting if you get a salmon on but a lot of fun. Looks like rain up there this week so that may help on all fronts. If I ever get this $%#$ garage painted I can go fishing again...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Thanks for the report HH2. I went down to my steel set up with 6 also a few weeks ago and got a few more chances. Makes it interesting if you get a salmon on but a lot of fun. Looks like rain up there this week so that may help on all fronts. If I ever get this $%#$ garage painted I can go fishing again...
We saw new fish everyday we were out. Spots varied day to day. Here today. Gone tomorrow. A majority of the fish were in decent shape. I'd have to say within the week most of those fish are gonna be zombies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts