Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished below Tippy Dam today with Marklisten (from Holland) and his brother Eric. The steelheads did not cooperate.....it's really slow right now....but the browns, if you were willing to switch some things around, were fatty, sassy, and hungry.

Perch minnows under a "strike indicator".......don'tcha just love the phrase...:lol: ....were the ticket. Red egg hooks...that's a tip from Dann09/George....teardrops in bright red, orange, and hot pink worked with varying degrees of effectivness. One color would work for awhile and then the fish would turn off so I switched and they'd get going again.

Mark and his bro' caught some trout also, but they stayed close to the coffer dam. I went down around the bend to some deeper water.......Mark, you should have come down.....and that's where the larger fish were.

The first photo is a close-up of a native rainbow........chunky little guy isn't he....that came on a bright red teardrop tipped with a wriggler (Mark brought the wrigglers). He jumped three or four times and gave a good account of himself.

The second photo is of a brown, still on the line. The fish went about 15" and came on a minnow/hot pink teardrop combo.

I only kept one fish, returning all others, including some unintentional returns of the bigger browns that de-hooked themselves despite my best efforts to keep them from doing so. Five of those were over the 15" inch size limit. I didn't say any "bad words", such a fine lad I be!!!!.....:lol:

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Nice trout Whit, nice to see some of those fish made it through last summer.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,
What really impressed Ray and I when we fished last Friday and me again today was the broad shoulders the fish had. Obviously they find the foraging to their liking. That rainbow in the photo above was thick and chunky, having substantially more weight than a fish of its length would normal exhibit.

Look at the size of the head on the rainbow. It is much smaller than its well muscled body. Healthy? You bet!

I used my 4-5 wgt. flyrod w/ 6lb. Trilene Sensation mono today. I think I'm going to take my 2 wgt. down there the next time and use 4lb. mono. Those thick bodied browns should be a ball on that rod.

·
Registered
602 Posts
While I don't think the quantity was the same, I too had a similar day on a Grand Rapids area river throwing a jig head tipped with wax worms. white and pink wasn't working on anything so I switched to a Chartreuse and yellow and the browns turned on. Quite fun to say the least.

Jason:bash:

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Healthy indeed... especially considering the low water and warm temps we had last summer. Good job, hopefully I make it up that way before too long. I always like tippy in the winter.

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
I would think that the late salmon run and continuous trickle of salmon/steel dropping eggs along with the floating flesh of dying salmon accounted for a late feed bag for them. Milder temps lately aren't hurting either.Congrats. I wish I could get up there to swing some flies. I bet they would still chase streamers right now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Strange but true!!!!
I only started to fish for trout in ernest this spring. I didn' t know were to go for trout or what to do I once I found the place.I read a piece in Woods and Waters this past spring with about how to go about it. It was packed with helpful info.

My brother is in from Los Alomos and said that he wanted to catch a trout. I put a post up looking for help that made some site members mad. Whit1 stepped in quickley made things better.

Later he called to tell me he would be at tippy, So we made plans to meet. I though we fished the same river before becaue I thought I met hime before.

Yeah, same guy that wrote the artical teaching me to trout fish was Trout fishing with me and I hadn't even known it!!!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Whit1 said:
I used my 4-5 wgt. flyrod w/ 6lb. Trilene Sensation mono today. I think I'm going to take my 2 wgt. down there the next time and use 4lb. mono. Those thick bodied browns should be a ball on that rod.

I have had mornings where I pounded the trout and after a lunch at the truck decided to break out the ole 9' Higley super ultra light and have some fun. Of course the steelhead turn on in the afternoon and I get railroaded time after time as I am totally outclassed with that rod on big fish. I have found that if you dont want your heart broken on numerous occasions, use the steelhead capable equipment to save serious frustration.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Nice report! I wish I had some time to get up there right now!
My sone had a blast catching those browns this past year.I'm glad they're getting bigger and thriving there:)

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Whit1 said:
John,
That rainbow in the photo above was thick and chunky, having substantially more weight than a fish of its length would normal exhibit.

... Healthy? You bet!
Does the same hold true for us humans?:16suspect :lol: :yikes: :dizzy:

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Sounds like a good day Whit. Plenty of food in the Big river and it looks like many trout made it through the dog days. Should mean a good spring.

Red hooks, eh? lol Good report.

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
That nice trout looks so small in the clutches of "ole uncle monkey paws"!:lol: :lol: :lol: :p

You keep practicing on them young-uns"Paw!" and when you get good and ready, come down here and take on some adult fish!;)

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spanky said:
That nice trout looks so small in the clutches of "ole uncle monkey paws"!:lol: :lol: :lol: :p

You keep practicing on them young-uns"Paw!" and when you get good and ready, come down here and take on some adult fish!;)
I shall not dignify this uwarrented attack with comments that would lower me onto the threshold of uttering any such nonsense in retribution!!

:yikes: :lol:

·
Registered
94 Posts
You guys missed out. The steelies and cohos have been biting good all week. I went out today, mostly covering new water. I saw mores guys than I expected too, most hooked up with fish. I went 1 for 1 on steelhead on spinners. I wanted to hit the Big M, but someone was already in the parking lot at my spot so I held off and explored another river.

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
:( Wish I was there.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
toto said:
:( Wish I was there.
I was thinkin' of ya Bill!! You would have enjoyed it.

By the way, it's 0 for 2 at the Toto Hole!! Two trips...no runs....no hits...probably several errors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts