Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about hitting it for smallies in September or October. Never fished it before. Any advice? Also, where to stay? Thank you, Jake

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm headed up there tonight for a four day adventure on the back waters. We fish it primarily in August and September. Live bait, drifting around the points has done well for us. I'll post results of the tri when i get back along with some lodging recommendations.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Anglerjake,

Just got back from a couple days on the back waters. Lots of 12"-16" fish, couple between 18"-20". Most fish came on slip bobbers and crawlers. Did pick up a couple vertical jigging with GULP leaches and a 1/4 ox jig head. Zebra mussels are HORRIBLE. Next year, I'm going with Fire Line. Broke off a couple nice fish because they ran into the submerged timber. All fish were caught off of the multiple points North East of the county boat launch.

Cabins/cottages I've stayed at.

Wildood (231)-848-4272. Cozy, five minutes from the boat launch. Have multiple units from fully furnished to bedroom and bathroom only. I've stayed here the past five years. Its not the Hilton but they are clean and close to the launch. Owners are real nice people.

Northwoods (231)-848-4573 Real nice. A little pricey. Also close to the launch.

Schmidts Outfitters (look up their website)-Stayed here four years ago. REAL nice, little over my budget.

Stay away from the Pine River Cabins right at the Pine River Bridge bridge. I'll leave it at that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts