Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit Huron at 6:30 am and to my surprise not a soul in sight. I had my choice of many favorite spots on the river. For a moment I thought that it was still March. About 7:00 a young guy in his 20's came in and started fishing about 10 yards above me. We said our hellos and were enjoying the morning bite. The fun came about 8:00 when some burly guy plopped in about 10 feet from Mr. 20 something and the entertainment began. The four letter words were flying. I mentioned to Mr. Burly that there was plenty of fish and open water above us and below us but he just choose to get into it with Mr. 20. Now the funny thing is that Mr. burly was going for the can of mase (SP?) as Mr. 20 took a couple of steps towards him. I thought : I heard of this kind of confrontation on the rivers up north but I have never witness it first hand and I had a front row seat. I decided to take in the entertainment value and resumed fishing. The whole shouting match lasted about 15 min. then the fisherman came out in each of them. Both guys started casting franticly each one landing fish left and right and not another word was spoken as they tried to out fish the other. This went on for a good hour or so when all of a sudden Mr. Burly decided to leave. and all was calm again. I resumed to my anit-stress fishing mode and landed a couple of dozen fish myself. I left about 12:00 and silently laughed all the way back to my truck. WIXOM STOCKERFEST 04 BTW Iwas using a Sucker spawn pattern in peach and yellow the Shouters were using white, yellow streamers and brown nymphs.

Tight Lines

FlyCaster

·
Registered
9,776 Posts
one of these years i'm gonna have to make it over there for stockerfest. if not for the fishing at least to sit back and watch the yahoos fight over territory.

steve

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have seen similar behavior at wixom, but today i got lucky and ended up next to aguy fishing with his dad, and the four of us made out realy well taking turns casting to the hot spot, no need for confrontations, just lots of good fishin action we all got lots of great fish to hand.

that sounds kind of funny, a good old fashion fish off always settles things;) :p

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Wow, that nuts.

I have seen snagging, guys flinging corn with fly rods, and some guy asked me to take a pic of him and the hog he hooked in the arse, but I've never seen fights, or anything approaching that.

Yeah, let's fight over some recently planted factory fish.:rolleyes:

Big fat guy carrying mace, and arguing over fish in a barrel....candidate for a heart attack, IMO.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Made my first voyage to the Huron for the stockerfest, and I also made my last voyage. It wasn't what I had expected, I caught 3 nice fish all over 16" but I wasn't too impressed with the fight of the fish or their lack of fear. It really was a let down when I hooked the first fish and it did little to get away... creek chubs have made a bigger attempt to get off my hook before. I also caught a 19-20" rainbow and it made one short run and was tired and ready to be landed. I was with my friend who was getting into fly fishing and I was explaining to him that what he was expieriencing was not a good gauge on how fly fishing really happens. I've never walked up on so many nice fish in my life, and while it was cool to see them so close I couldn't help but think how unrealistic it was. But with that said it was nice to get out and be outside.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I got into the water at about 7:30, and there were people in my favorite spots from last year. Everyone I ran into seemed to be happy and cooperative. The I noticed more kids this year than last, whch is a good thing. But, I also saw a few of them head into the river and encounter soft bottom, sinking up to their armpits. You have to be real careful navigating the riverbanks on that stretch of the river.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Esox Master and I headed over to the river after school on Thurs. We arrived at around 4:00 and man, were there a lot of people. We decided to try our luck downstream, and after hiking through countless pricker bushes and over downed tree branches, we made it to a hole stuffed to the brim with trout. We had a great time and also introduced my younger brother to the sport. The only thing I experienced that had a bad temper was a goose whose nest I evidently stepped to closely to. Nonetheless, a great way to start the season.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts