Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I like tipup line to a swivel and then 15lb mono leader about 2-3 feet long. Tie on a circle hook. I also love to use the tiny red/white bobbers to mark how deep I set it. Makes it real easy to keep resetting the tipup after you have a flag.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
I use dacron for the main line, run through an egg sinker to a swivel. The egg sinker keeps the shiner/sucker/chub down and from wandering too far.
About 2' of Fireline for a leader to a smaller treble hook. Smaller treble hooks tend to end up in the corner of the pike's mouth.
Works for me.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Love the egg sinker as well along with a small 2x swivel. I have not used a steel or titanium leader in years and rarely lose fish from bite thru. Never have played attractors i try to keep it simple. I have been using more blue Gil's than shiners or sucker minnows with excellent success. Many 15 + flag days with 90% land rate. Except this year sucks with two days of fishing an zero flags. Tight lines

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I run straight ten pound mono to a swivel and small slip sinker. Circle hook for pike and a small treble for perch and walleye. I downsize the leader to six pound flouro if fishing real clear water.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I have always done pretty much what everyone else said with dacron or braided line to a swivel with a big splitshot above it. I also use the really small clip on red/white bobber just down a foot or so below the ice for the simplicity of resetting and as an indicator to know if a flag is tripped whether or not any line has been peeled out. I usually just run a steel leader on the end but have contemplated using some heavy mono or fluorocarbon but I don't fish tip ups enough to really know whether or not it makes a difference as some say. But I suppose if it makes a difference on even one fish for an entire season it would be worth it. I will usually get some flags and have always just figured a hungry fish isn't going to be too line shy anyways. If I was fishing walleye exclusively I'd use mono for sure but unless you are on the bay or somewhere like that it is hard to fish anywhere there isn't way more pike than walleyes. That is the way my dad always taught me but my uncle was always a mono leader fan.

·
Registered
44 Posts
20# flouro leader. works great in most lakes. even for walleye. I set some with beads, some without. guess Im old school like that.
one thing with the flouro leader, always check for nicks/abrasion after each flag. the only break offs ive had were when I got lazy and didn't re-tie.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks all and great pic from crayfish. Dad didn't tip up fish, so this is great info! I've got 2 rigs that have been useless because I was unsure how to rig for success.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

1 - 11 of 11 Posts