Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used my new tip ups only once last year with nothing hooked. Was wondering what you guys use to present your bait. I tried just a 3/4oz jig head on mine last year. I admittedly have zero point of reference when using tip ups. Thanks for any help guys!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I use a #12 treble and a live minnow.

Most use a treble hook and live minnow.

Sent from my EVO using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
659 Posts
Circle hook with a split shot 2-3 feet above. Sucker minnows tend to work better than goldens in my experience.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I usually use a big single hook with a slight bend in them. What people usually use when Carolina rigging for bass. I usually put a sucker minnow unless I catch a 4-5" perch/bluegill then I will switch off to that.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Treble or single hook. Bait depends on fish targeted. Pike I have more luck with goldies than suckers but suckers work fine also. Perch or walleye I like a blue about 2.5" long. Split shot above the hook. Very simple and natural presentation is best for me. Good luck.

Sent from my C771 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
I use a #10 or 12 treble, 3' mono leader, swivel, slip (egg) sinker. 6 and 8 pound line/leader. With live smelt.
Boom

If there aren't any smelt where you're fishing, just use some kinda shiner or sucker

Swampy, do you set the slip sinker on bottom or keep it suspended?

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
Last year was my first year using my tip ups on a regular bias but I used 12# flourocarbon with a small red single hook

·
Registered
55 Posts
get a couple each sucker and golden and switch between single and treble hooks til you find what your lake likes and if other people are getting fish and your not try a leader line of mono about 2' with a swivel and a slip sinker above the swivel and make sure your at least a couple feet off bottom with your bait...i fish a lot of deep water for pike 35-45 fow and i set my baits 5 to 10' off bottom but its mostly a trial and error thing every body of water can be different...good luck

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I assume you are going for pike? Some use a steel leader but I feel 12-20lb florocarbon or mono gets more bites and I rarely have one bite me off. A small treble as stated with a split shot 2-3' above is the way to go. Most important is location. In most lakes this is on the outside edge of the weeds in about 12fow. Set the minnow about 3' off bottom.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! Great info so far. Now it's just time to find some good ice. Oh and time away from holiday festivities.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Personally I like 2-3 foot leader of whatever you like with a small swivel and a 3/8 ounce crimp on or egg sinker and I am a fan of quick strike rigs I run my minnows high normally in 10 foot or less there 3 foot down or less

·
Registered
20,903 Posts
Boom

If there aren't any smelt where you're fishing, just use some kinda shiner or sucker

Swampy, do you set the slip sinker on bottom or keep it suspended?
Suspended with the bait about 3' above bottom, sinker about 6' off the bottom. Of course I am fishing deeper water than most of you guys. 20+ fow for pike and about 90fow trout

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know how to catch pike and bass on tip ups, not walleye. For pike and bass I use a 40lb braided Dacron with a treble hook that suits the size minnow and fish you are after. 6-12 fow is my best depths and I always go half way down to bottom. Cut or rip of the shinner, chub, bluegills etc. tail so it is wounded and will trigger more strikes. When ya get a flag don't run to the tip up. You don't want to spook the fish. Hope this helps. Ill attach a pic of a 48 1/4" northern my dad got in Lapeer county on a 4" bluegill. ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1387656491.290047.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
20,903 Posts
I know how to catch pike and bass on tip ups, not walleye. For pike and bass I use a 40lb braided Dacron with a treble hook that suits the size minnow and fish you are after. 6-12 fow is my best depths and I always go half way down to bottom. Cut or rip of the shinner, chub, bluegills etc. tail so it is wounded and will trigger more strikes. When ya get a flag don't run to the tip up. You don't want to spook the fish. Hope this helps. Ill attach a pic of a 48 1/4" northern my dad got in Lapeer county on a 4" bluegill. View attachment 53100

Curious why you use 40lb braid for bass and pike, seems a little heavy and highly visible.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I use toothy cutter 20 pound test on half and 30 pound spider wire stealth on the other. Both work well for me.
Some of us are not worryed about visibility at least it doesn't even cross my mind

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I target pike and bass still bite. I don't eat largemouth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts