Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All-
I will be fishing a few new lakes this season, which I've never fished before. Seems they are fairly clear...to the point bottom is visible, at times, 25+ ft. Walleye are present as are some decent sized perch. I have heard there are also pike, but not a ton. I want to set up some tip-ups to target the walleye and perch at the bottom.

What would be your choice of line type, brand, and poundage for water like this? I don't anticipate constantly having to deal with pike...so it's more so just trying to figure out what would be best to accommodate both walleye and perch.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
375 Posts
When I am set up for walleye/perch I use braid to a snap swivel with an egg sinker above the snap swivel. From the snap swivel I connect a Fluoro leader 2-3', length depends on what I am targeting, the size of my bait, and how much I want the egg sinker to limit swimming.

Then If I want to change to fish exclusively for pike simply disconnect the Fluoro leader and attach a quick strike rig / steel leader / braid leader.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
80 pound power pro tied directly to 6 pound vanish florocarbon. Small split shot n small hook sharpened treble hook
80 pound power pro and 6 pound floro. Now that's a hell of a combo.
For walleye and perch on tip ups I have done pretty well with 10 or 12 pound trilene xl and 8 pound p-line floroclear.
Weight is dependent on bait.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts