Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two tip ups and I need to set them up. One is the older style wood type and the other is the round plastic kind that covers the hole. What line and hooks should I use for general pike fishing? Do I need a leader or sinkers? Pics of how they are supposed to be rigged would be great, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
I like to use the braided tip up line with a steel leader 2 treble set up.
First hook through the upper lip and the second in the tail, both hooks facing towards the reel.
I dont have a pic but I'm sure you'll get other responses from others more experienced than me.
I'm just a part time/weekend tip up fisherman :)

·
collector
4,440 Posts
I like to use the braided tip up line with a steel leader 2 treble set up.
First hook through the upper lip and the second in the tail, both hooks facing towards the reel.
I dont have a pic but I'm sure you'll get other responses from others more experienced than me.
I'm just a part time/weekend tip up fisherman :)
thats called a quick strike rig... just use the search tool here on the forum to search all types of tip-up rigs... lots of info all ways coming in.....

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I like to run the black tipup line to a barrel swivel then attach 15lb or 20lb mono (around 3 feet or so). I then tie on a #4 or #6 circle hook. I also put a sinker about 2 feet up the line if I am fishig deeper water.

Redneckman

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I like to use plastic coated dacron 20-30 lb test. Then similar to redneckman I use a small barrel swivel and use 2-3 feet of 17-20 lb fluorocarbon line for a leader with a split shot for weight. Then a small snap and use a circle hook. The thing to remeber with a circle hook is don't jerk it to set the hook, just smoothly tighten the line so it hooks right in the corner of the mouth. 90% of my hookups are in the corner of the mouth. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Dacron line with a quick strike rig is about all you need. If you think the fish are line shy, you could run a barrel swivel to some mono or floro. Its been my experience that pike are definately not line shy..........Good luck.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I use 25 lb braided tip up line. I put a sliding weight around 1/8 oz over the line and tie on a swivel. I tie 17lb to 20 lb fluorocarbon to the other end of the swivel with a number 8 treble. The smaller hook finds the corner of the fish's mouth pretty well so you don't get your line cut as often as you think. Actually all last year I never had a cut off. Steel leaders are okay in stained water, but if there is any clarity to the water you will get more strikes with a fluorocarbon leader.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it sounds like everyone uses either 1 of 2 types of rigs. I think I'll set up 1 with a leader and one without, and see which one works out better for me. Thanks for the replys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts