Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new to pike fishing with tip ups. i just got 3 of them with the briaded line on them...i got trebble hooks on them...med size. should i put wieghts on them or just leave it as that? steel leaders? ill be using chubs so i just wanted to know cause i want to start learning about tip ups to pike fish. i did it one time yesterday and a guy had it set up for me. i thought it was fun as heck.....please let me know ur ideas or tips on this

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not an expert, but mine goes braided line, steel leader that has 2 trebles on it (I bought it that way and it is specifically for tip-ups, but I forget what its called) then a couple feet up from that I have some weight on it

On another one I have the same thing, but it goes braided, swivel, shiny spoon looking thing (I know, technical jargon right) then the steel leader with trebles, the guy at the bait shop told me about this set up, he said the spoon works as an attractor, but I don't know if it makes a difference or not
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
757 Posts
Go to12-20lb mono for your leaders. You'll get more bites, all i run is 8lb florocarbon andI haven't had one bite me off yet this year. I only run one spiltshot about 8" up from the hook, always an octopus hook.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've used just about every combination of treble hooks/one hook and small blades, and some with no blades, some with steel leaders and all with braided tip up line. I've never tried floro but I've been thinking about trying something a little lighter. I have noticed that I seem to get more fish on the tip ups without a leader and a small blade near the treble hook. Most of my tip ups have a normal sized treble hook with a small trailer hook. I put the bigger of the two behind the top fin and the smaller one behind the head. I bought a huge gautty set up last year with two huge blood red treble hooks and only caught one dog fish before it got tangled in the stumps at fletchers and was lost. I think it was complete over kill, and we affectionately named the rig "Metal Monster". I've been thinking more and more about using lighter fire line with no leader and somewhat smaller treble hooks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i talked with joe66 and some other guys out on the lakes this past 2 weeks and was told to use florocarbon 14-16lbs. they said keep the braided line on but put a swivel on the end of braided line then put about 6-8 inchs of the florocarbon line on the other end of swivel then the hook. i guess the pike cant really see it. i think im gonna try it out. i got told with the floro carbon the pike really dont cut through it...its possible but has not happen to some of the people i talked to yet. ill give it a try and let you all know how it works. they also told me to put a good size slipshot wieght right under the swivel to find get the chub at the right dept instead of letting it go to its own depths and that stuff

·
Registered
115 Posts
We lost many fish last year due to florocarban leaders. We have now switched to the tie able steel leader and catch just as many fish without the bite offs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If your going strictly for Pike then id use a leader strait to a treble hook, with a split shot or two a couple inches above the hook, id also recommend not dropping all the way down to the bottom. try different depths below the ice as pikes eyes are more on top of their head. hope it helps and i was curious about trout on tip ups too! :confused:

·
Registered
457 Posts
If your going strictly for Pike then id use a leader strait to a treble hook, with a split shot or two a couple inches above the hook, id also recommend not dropping all the way down to the bottom. try different depths below the ice as pikes eyes are more on top of their head. hope it helps and i was curious about trout on tip ups too! :confused:

That is what I do, except put my wieghts at the top of the swivel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts