Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think there’s a better brand/type TIP UP for fishing for walleye. Vertical/horizontal reels, jaw jackers, I fish pro? What’s the most effective in your opinion.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I think this is totally personal preference honestly. Some like to handline fish, some like to fight them with a rod, etc. The fish could care less about what the bait is attached to that they are trying to eat. Because of that, effectiveness actually comes down to the angler fishing where the fish are and fishing whatever they are using properly at the right time. You can't catch fish with any technique or equipment if they are not there or if you are using what you have improperly.

Reactions: Crappie1 and mjh4

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
The right bait at the right depth at the right time. Fish don't give a crap about what tip up you use.
Haha, you beat me to it, lol. Damn phone rang, haha.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
On a side note, I like using the insulated type that cover up the hole because I don't really prefer fishing tip ups but if I'm hole hopping and can only fish a rod or two at a time I like to put that 2nd or 3rd legal line in the water. So this way, with that type of tip-up, I don't have to be as concerned checking it all the time and clearing ice on those cold days. My uncle, on the other hand, would much prefer to run tip-ups and check them every half hour at most but he doesn't catch as many fish jigging either. If I'm in the shanty and fishing alone I typically fish 3 holes with a dead stick or two and then jig another and don't even bother with tip-ups but if a buddy is there and I only have 2 holes I'll put a tip-up out. Again though, I use the Ron Popeil strategy of setting it and forgetting it until I see a flag and don't check it much otherwise.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have 3 different types of tipups I use pending on what I'm targeting. For pike I use the traditional tip up and real cold days the polar type that covers your hole from freezing. For walleye I have wind tip ups that have a fin on them that when pointed in the wind can be adjusted to jig up and down and also helps your line from freezing. I agree with previous post about fish not caring but will add what size hook/lure and leader line can make a difference. When retrieving your fish stand downwind from your hole to help your line from tangling. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I use tip ups for perch. Monofilament, number 10 treble hook and walleye minnow hooked so it can swim around.

I just use the cheap polar tip ups, but make sure the line comes off the reel very smooth and easy

Reactions: Smith656

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Some of the best days I've ever had were when the weather went south. Tip-ups with a base that covers that hole will keep you fishing on cold,, windy, snowy days that open designs become nothing but a pita. Granted, it's been a non-issue so far this year, but that could change anytime.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have 3 types of tip ups.
40 year old wooden cross sticks a polar cover style it's good on days the wind blows and wants to cover up my hole and a plastic one where a little spiner thing goes around when line is taken out that one is good because I don't have to pull it out of the hole to see if the reel is spinning or i have a false flag.I
But the fish don't care what the server looks like just as long as the food is good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply’s. I’ve seen guys take a boat load of fish out of the ice using tip up’s. Mostly in the north country. Perch and walleye. I understand if the depth is set right with the right hook combo. But I also like setting the tip ups to cover a lot of ground see where the fish are. If i see a flag going off a bunch, better believe I’ll be drilling holes to jig the area as well. I’ve been looking for vertical reel tip ups because I think they spin more freely so the fish can take the bait run with it and eat it when the bit is finicky

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Exactly, once you dial in a depth, a certain structure, a bait, etc. repeat it. Sometimes you'll get fish shallow with the setup just below the ice and other times it's deeper and just up off bottom. I've heard guys say a dead minnow laying on bottom produces really well too when chasing pike. I think most will tell you eyes are by far and away most cooperative just before and after sunset, don't hear a lot about a morning bite or mid afternoon bite. Most lakes I think you'd be wasting your time chasing perch on tip ups but I know some are worth it that are known to have bigger fish. If I were after perch though I'd rather be chasing the schools and hole hopping rather than leaving a bait in a hole for hours at a time. Seems like if you were getting an occasional one on a tip up it would be better to just jig the hole actively. But like you said, any tip up, working properly should let the line spool out freely. Some have tension settings that can be adjusted and that would be more important with light biters than others. I know mine have different settings to pin the flag down making it easier or harder to trip it but once a tip up is tripped it should freespool as easy as possible.

Reactions: Crappie1

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Another little tip that works for me is taking your shavings after drilling your hole and build a wall blocking the wind around your hole. It helps a little from your hole freezing over and maybe alerts someone else from stepping in to it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Insulated all the way warm or cold out. I got 4 frabill’s. 2 with 6# and 2 with 12# leader. 12# for pike. #6 for Wally, crap dogs, perch. Smaller treble than the pike setups. U would be surprised how many more bites u get on floro than steel leaders. Plus floro rides invetween the teeth. Just rub ur fingers on the line after each catch. If it’s rough I always is the spool of 12# in my bucket and re-tie.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts