Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I have seen posts several times by Ralph Smith that he uses a single hook harness with just a small piece of night crawler.

I tie my own harnesses, and use three hooks. I use a treble for the bottom hook. When I fished last weekend, I forgot to bring my spool of extra harnesses. Half way through the afternoon, a big catfish broke off the bottom of one of my rigs. I was left with just a single hook on it. I decided to use Ralph's advice, and sent it back out with just a "piece" of crawler on it.

I really didn't expect it to work very well; BUT, that rig outperformed the rest of my harnesses.

I'm not sure why I'm reluctant to switch over to a single hook harness still (with just a piece of crawler instead of a whole one). But I AM going to make up some singles and see if it continues to work.

Thanks for the tip Ralph!
I started doing that last year and it worked good for me to a one hook rig.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I started doing that last year and it worked good for me to a one hook rig.
I use singles a ton. Most of mine are of the floating variety. Last weekend, My double hook rigs out performed my single hook rigs. Funny how we think we have stuff figured out and then something changes it. That is why fishing is fun. Always trying new things, listening to other ideas.... Glad Ralph made a post about it and even better that you took the time to read it and remember it. Sportsmen helping sportsmen. That is what it is all about !
Good point, this year I've had days where long lines were the ticket, others the boards had to be as far from the boat as possible, then drop lines were good the other day.

I must say one of the underrated things about Saginaw Bay fishing is cheap bait. I like the half crawler trick, but the nice thing is it's not about bait rationing. The real trick is to save money on gas.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts