Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen posts several times by Ralph Smith that he uses a single hook harness with just a small piece of night crawler.

I tie my own harnesses, and use three hooks. I use a treble for the bottom hook. When I fished last weekend, I forgot to bring my spool of extra harnesses. Half way through the afternoon, a big catfish broke off the bottom of one of my rigs. I was left with just a single hook on it. I decided to use Ralph's advice, and sent it back out with just a "piece" of crawler on it.

I really didn't expect it to work very well; BUT, that rig outperformed the rest of my harnesses.

I'm not sure why I'm reluctant to switch over to a single hook harness still (with just a piece of crawler instead of a whole one). But I AM going to make up some singles and see if it continues to work.

Thanks for the tip Ralph!

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
I use singles a ton. Most of mine are of the floating variety. Last weekend, My double hook rigs out performed my single hook rigs. Funny how we think we have stuff figured out and then something changes it. That is why fishing is fun. Always trying new things, listening to other ideas.... Glad Ralph made a post about it and even better that you took the time to read it and remember it. Sportsmen helping sportsmen. That is what it is all about !

·
Premium Member
29,955 Posts
I have seen posts several times by Ralph Smith that he uses a single hook harness with just a small piece of night crawler.

I tie my own harnesses, and use three hooks. I use a treble for the bottom hook. When I fished last weekend, I forgot to bring my spool of extra harnesses. Half way through the afternoon, a big catfish broke off the bottom of one of my rigs. I was left with just a single hook on it. I decided to use Ralph's advice, and sent it back out with just a "piece" of crawler on it.

I really didn't expect it to work very well; BUT, that rig outperformed the rest of my harnesses.

I'm not sure why I'm reluctant to switch over to a single hook harness still (with just a piece of crawler instead of a whole one). But I AM going to make up some singles and see if it continues to work.

Thanks for the tip Ralph!
Glad it worked for you:). Save a bunch on cralwers that's for sure. You can run 4 harnesses or more with 1 crawler. Don't know if they think its a mayfly hatching or what,but they definatley work. I'll be tying up some this winter finally instead of buying.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
Glad it worked for you:). Save a bunch on cralwers that's for sure. You can run 4 harnesses or more with 1 crawler. Don't know if they think its a mayfly hatching or what,but they definatley work. I'll be tying up some this winter finally instead of buying.
Ralph

Maybe you can answer my question to Spankin Eyes. (hopefully)

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Heading out Saturday morning. Picked up 60 or 70 crawlers off the lawn last night. So I can afford to use a whole crawler. Don't have to skimp on the worms for beer money ;)

·
Premium Member
29,955 Posts
Heading out Saturday morning. Picked up 60 or 70 crawlers off the lawn last night. So I can afford to use a whole crawler. Don't have to skimp on the worms for beer money ;)
And to whom or what are you referring Darrell!:p:lol: Try it with just an inch of crawler and one hook, not many get away either.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We have been tying single hook slow death harnesses of late. Mostly fishing weeds in close.
Better results than Erie Deeries, and about equal to small spoons. It's fishing, so we keep trying new ideas, but they worked best in June. July has been a tougher bite on everything.

·
Premium Member
29,955 Posts
I'm going out this weekend for my 2nd trip this season!

Any tips on what I can do Ralph?
Probobly, but I think better over a meal of perch and beer. Let me know when your frying, and I'll bring the beer! But no Zima, draw the line there:SHOCKED::D:lol:

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
My dads crawler harnesses circa 1980s always had one single snell and he made his own after a river rat he worked with at the steel mill showed him what to do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts