Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started tying some Stones for my first time a couple nights ago. I did ok on the first 2, but am getting a little better at them. My question is; What do you use to make the body bigger around? Also, what do use for the wing's? I am using swiss straw, it look's good, but what is used primarily for the wing case? Is their some kind of glue that is involved with the wings?

I have a few pics to upload, but that will have to wait until later on. Thanks for any and all help :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
you can use any number of materials to make wing cases. i have used mottled turkey feathers, swiss straw,pheasant tail fibers, and thin skin when i have it,(its kinda hard to find.). as for using glues, ive used epoxy, loons hard head, and clear nail polish to coat the wing case.
hope i was of some help, im sure others will have some other great opinions , thats what makes this site so great, so many great ideas in one place.

·
Registered
729 Posts
i use dental tape(bigger than dental floss)to build up the body.
You can find it almost anywhere and use it on everything.Give each wrap a good pull to fuse the wax together.
i'll use black ribbon for my wings(present wrapping ribbon).
Look for it at stores that sell party supplys because black is hard to find.i've tryed JoAnn's etc and no one had it.
You can either fold the ribbon or use a stonefly wing burner to melt the ribbon(looks sweet)
Using all of the above will get you the cheapest,toughest best looking stonefly.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
hey flyrod4,,,,,, i also live in saginaw. give me a message an i'll tell ya were in sag. stop over an i'd be happy to show you some stone fly patterns an wing matterials. i'm a mile from the big Z-bridge. i'll be gone tho mon-tue, leaving for the big-m for some steelheading.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my first Stone Fly that I tied a couple nights ago. I know their is room for improvement, and I am working on them. have tied a couple other ones up after this one but were in worst shape than this one is.

So far, I think that is my best one yet. Still room for improvement though.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Dale, I don't really think you can improve too much on those. I use some mottled medallion sheeting I got from Cabela's because I couldn't find the swiss straw. The stuff is a little pricey at six bucks a package.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried the turkey feathers, but the fibers slpit apart on me all the time. Can you get these already cut, or learn to take my time with the turkey feathers?

mottled medallion sheeting? What's this?

Thanks JWF and Everyone!

·
Registered
245 Posts
To make the body wider, you can also wrap it with lead. After you wrap it, you can "shape" it with plies. OSD (old steelhead dude) told me about a spray product called Fixative" or something like that. You can spray it on your feathers to keep them together. It works great!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
a tip on those turkey feathers for wing cases. use a small paint brush an paint them with daves flex a ment. to separate the fibers of the feather for use in a wing case i cut from the quil. they will stay together after painted with the flex a ment i push a pin thru the feather an pull the wing thru the pin. kinda hard to describe but works better than trying to cut with sizzors.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ok,

You need to..
1. Use a medium gauge lead wire on the body to build "bulk" Dub a good abdomen with whatever rib you want and complete the thorax WITHOUT the wing case in yet. this will give you the full nymph body without having to tie in the segment of the wing to the hook each time. Then start your thread back and make a seperate dub lub very pricky lookin and tie in the turkey or swiss straw to finish off the wingcase using the dub loop to hold down the front and back of each segment. No camera or I would try to explain better.

sideshow

1 - 15 of 15 Posts