Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished both days with Saturday much better than Sunday. In the gale force winds on Saturday, we fished from 7:00 - 3:30 and two of us ended up with around 75 decent fish -all 9 to 11 inches. Hot bait was the tiny jigging Rapala tipped with an anise ball. A small Swedish Pimple tipped with a minnow produced as well. Water depth was 4 feet. It was absolutely amazing at times - at some points, you could barely see the lake bottom through all the perch in the hole.

Sunday was much tougher, despite the nice weather. We only fished until noon and managed only 20 keepers. Same program as Saturday, but most of the fish wanted minnows today. We were out approx 300 yards and to the right of the resturaunt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tom,
Thanks very much for sharing your experience with all of us… it is most appreciated.

I last fished on Friday February 20 about ¾ mile out in front of the Harrison DNR site, and other than getting quite wet, I only got 2 good keepers! I can’t wait to go out again tomorrow (Monday) and give it a try some where near there -- it is oh soooo much closer to my home. I have grown tired of driving all the way down to Harrison (Gino’s / DNR) to end up with only a few nice fish after humping my tail off all day. Gosh, at times I sure wish I had me one of those 4 wheelers like so many! It’d make my life a lot easier for sure, and while I’d probably end up with better catches more frequently, I just know that I wouldn’t be in as good of shape physically. But one of these days, I sure gotta get me sumtin to ride too!

Everything has its price, tradeoff’s, pluses & minuses!

Dan K.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hey Tim,
Fished up the road from the Tin Fish today. Parked across the road and dragged my sled over the rocks. Not much luck and got stopped by the CO. He said I should be fishing by the Tin Fish. Can you park in the lot? Do you have to pay?
Walleye Magnet

·
Premium Member
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have been parking right in the resturaunt lot and haven't had any trouble. They do not charge. I would guess that if it became too crowded, they might have to change things.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey Tom

Thanks for the post. I have also been fishing Meldrum last week, but the last time I went out on Sat. I notice some NO TRESSPASSING sign going up around the rocky shore that is the access point. I went a head and accessed the lake but did not feel right with the signs up so I am not sure If i want to access there with out any future information about the situation. I am not sure if someone owns that land, it seem mostly like just the shoulder of the road. It could be a neighbor that put the signs up, but on land they do not own. So I might try the Tin Fish if there is access there. I like these spots along the road because with out a 4 wheeler other areas are a long walk pulling the shanty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I tried the Tin Fish this morning and only got 4 dinks… out of about a dozen I saw in 4 FOW about 100 yards from shore! Others there didn’t seem to be doing any good either. Like a lot of others there, I finally gave up and left prior to noon.

HELP REQUESTED...

LOST: One pair of Artic Spurs (green stretch band ice cleats) Monday February 23rd.

I mistakenly left my spurs on the dock and when I returned to the site about 20 minutes later they were gone. I had taken them off because I didn’t want to punch holes in or mar up Tin Fish's wooden dock/walkway.

FOUND (on the ice): 5 beer cans, 1 milk bottle & 1 paper bag.

Dan K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts