Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm back from my trip to Prince Edward Island and came back with another blind buddy.

Yorkton's Malpeque Magnum call name: "Maggie"

(Malpeque Bay is an area on the north shore of PEI that my buddy and I had hunted - she'll be hunted over her namesake!)

You think you know what you're doing... then you realize it's been a loooooong time since Remmer was a pup and what a hand full they can be! (especially at night! GUH!!) :smile-mad

She was killing me the first couple of nights, but the old tricks started coming back to me (like walking their arses off right before bed!)

As you can see, the fitting into the new family was pretty hard on both the pup and Rem!

In a couple of years as Rem slows down, she'll be about ready to pick up the slack. (though he gets to hunt as long as the legs can carry him!)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Congrats on the new addition to the family. That's a Great look'in pup! Almost makes me want to get a new pup :D

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Suuuuuuure is a "Pretty" pup ya have there Branta ? Yes ! The old tricks are slow in coming, but for survival they have arrived.......:lol: Looks like big brother took to the pup ok !
That would be a good thing........:) Slowing the water intake before bed also helps in getting a full nights sleep.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
What a little cutie there Branta. It took me a quite a few nights to figure out Bella when we first got her. It turned out Sampson would wake her up when he moved from one spot to another and shook off. We Started bringing him in our room and then Bella settled in until 5:30 when I got up. S

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Great looking pup.

Don't worry it doesn't take to long and the pup will sleep almost through the night :evil: She will wake you up just early enough that you don't want to get up yet and just early enough that it doesn't make sense to go back to bed.

My new pup is 11 weeks now and has that one down. I get up 45 minutes sooner then I want to every morning.

·
Super Moderator
3,249 Posts
great looking pup... Rem seems very happy to have someone in the house that finally understands dog....:lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Congrats on a super looking pup!

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
She's adorable, you've got two great looking Labs, Branta. I assume her name is Maggie, a female version of "Magnum"??

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Branta, she looks good. Glad rem likes his new friend. I just had a thought, It is going to be 4 to 5 weeks for me. :yikes: Cant wait though. Should be alot of fun. :D

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Branta said:
...You think you know what you're doing... then you realize it's been a loooooong time since Remmer was a pup and what a hand full they can be! (especially at night! GUH!!) :smile-mad

She was killing me the first couple of nights, but the old tricks started coming back to me (like walking their arses off right before bed!)
Yeah tell me about it. Our setter pup is 10 weeks old as of yesterday, and he's doing better at only getting me up a couple times each night. Yes, cutting off the water about 8pm and LOTS of exercise before bed are just a couple of the tricks. It had been 14 years since our last pup, and you really do shake your head the first day or two and wonder what the #$%$# you did :lol: But the bonding you do at that age is something you can't replace.

Here's Cooper the other day in the yard

Setters are really hilarious at this age because those with the instinct will point ANYTHING! Shortly after this pic, he locked solid on....A DANDELION :evilsmile He had that sucker pinned down, with the foot cocked and the tail up, just like in the books. Only wish the wife had not run off with the camera or I'd have had a great pic. :banghead3

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Great looking pup Branta! I know we'll get some good pics of her this year:)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
JD and Branta,

Nice looking hounds...

I wish I could get one. Timing just isn't right. Looks like I will have to help my brother get his dog ready for the season. Should be a good time training and the working with them.

Kev

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Linda G. said:
She's adorable, you've got two great looking Labs, Branta. I assume her name is Maggie, a female version of "Magnum"??
but of course! ;)

All lab pups are so durn cute.

took her over to a friends house on Sunday and she snapped these pics for me. thought they turned out pretty nice.

then the artsy fartsy shot!

I think I may actually frame this one ("yup, up there is where the fun comes from!")

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JD, Nice looking kid.

I love pointer pups!

they'll point balls of paper,

a shoe...

a pine cone!

it's cool to see how even at a young age that instinct to stiffen up and point is right there!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Hey ducky, great looking pup. I like it when they point. Especially when there older and on a full out run, then lock up ! Congrats..........:)

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
And don't look now, but this little dude actually has webbed feet! The breeder tells me momma loves water, and has fetched lots of birds from the potholes. My last setter was not webbed like this guy, so I have a feeling fetching a bird out of a creek or pothole won't be a problem. So I may just make a ducker out of this dude yet :lol:

I have the digital camera around my neck constantly now because he'll lock on point on anything. Yesterday afternoon it was a cardinal feather by the bird feeder...OH MY GOD this little guy was solid on that feather for at least 20 seconds...hilarious.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Ya know the old saying "one step forward...two steps back"? Well we got our little butt into something nasty the other day, and developed an intestinal infection. Bladder and bowel control was gone...not pretty. Got a little worried about dehydration at this age, but after an overnight stay at the vets, and few large bills later :dizzy: , he's back in the saddle. Brought him home last night, and he's taken a step or two back on the housetraining having a couple accidents, but now today he seems to have the control back. Man I'd forgotten how much work a pup is. C'mon and age a tad already :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts