Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that the year is coming to a close I was wondering how many of you guys keep count of fish caught during the year and what kind of numbers or walleye you guys had or what kind of big walleye you had. Lets hear it guys.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Now that the year is coming to a close I was wondering how many of you guys keep count of fish caught during the year and what kind of numbers or walleye you guys had or what kind of big walleye you had. Lets hear it guys.
including wissota andrew?:)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I was gonna say fish that were caught in your boat no matter where you were at but you should specify between local and non local. Well come on Brian how many?? Give me the count with and without wissota. I heard that all those fish out there were only like 5-8 inch walleye anyways so 2 should count as 1.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
i wouldnt want to be called a liar :D -honestly i dont have a clue, but i know the waypoints sure could use some organizing. it was def.a good year thats for sure! i think youve got yours recorded in lbs right ;) -i dont plan on putting the rig up for a few weeks, your not wimping out on me r u?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh the boat is in service untill the ice is in. I keep thourough records. Caught/caught and kept/fish given away/lbs per catch after cleaning and total pounds in freezer etc. Even the stuff in the freezer is sorted by date of catch and typically in 1, 1.25, 1.5, or 2 lb bags. I will probably be out this weekend give me a call tomorrow or friday. Just so you know.....397 kept 443 caught total thats just on detroit river and erie so far. I would have to imagine if I included other peoples boats it would be close to 550 so far this year total. Not too bad......Hopefully next year will be a little better. As you know big one was 11.5 lbs.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I am a DNR angler diary participant which is a great way to document your catch. Me and my crew caught just under 200 walleyes this season. Never went below the Ambassador bridge. This season especially we hardly ventured south of the belle isle bridge most days. This was in addition to fathering three kids, coaching baseball April-June etc.....Not bad.

Looking back 2005 and 2006 were 300+ fish years. Biggest fish was caught Labor Day, 8 lbs, 31 inch, Canadian waters. Quickest limit and high fish day was Fathers Day, June 26, caught 35 eyes before noon. again Canadian waters.

Last sundays catch we caught 9 fish that were 16 inches. Those fish were only 12-13 in the spring. DNR buddies tell me that those fish are likely 2007 year class, so next spring that year clas may save us.

I just love the run and gun approach of jigging. Rod in hand hitting a bunch of spots until you find that feeding school, and then work those fish over. I have stopped musky fishing due to so much spring jigging.

lets hear it guys.....andy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Now that you post your numbers im a bit embarassed. i dont have specific records but approx 65 in the detroit river. 3 8.5 pounders. i couldnt get a real monster ths year.
We probably boated as many muskies this summer in lk.st. clair.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
im up to around 500 or so but i fish damn near everyday biggest was 7.75lbs this fall windmill pointe...next year im keeping very good records temp cloudy/sunny wind what color time ect. ect... so i can fall back on info this was my first year really fishing hard not just 1-2 days a week..and i plan on keeping the boat in the water at least another week and a half

·
Registered
266 Posts
April thru November: 387 keepers for my boat. I started using a journal in 2007 and it has helped me quite a bit. I would like to thank those of you that have shared your fishing knowledge as well, it has definitely helped me catch more fish over the last few years.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
About... say, 36 keepers one was just under 8lbs. From Holloway/Flint river, Sag river, Tibb river, Sag bay, and near Port Hope/Grindstone Cty.. It's about time I get a boat for the big lakes and learn how to troll eh?

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Well was sort of easy for me this year bein that I only had my 6hp motor.....
This is count for the boat(son,myself and Dad)
Cedarville and Erie and Wamplers

0 Walleye
300+ Bluegill, Sunfish family
1100+Perch
50+ LM Bass
50+ White Perch
10 Whitebass(Maumee River)
100+ Pike
20+ Carp
50+ Bullhead and Catfish and Sheephead

Thats a high number of perch because of Dad living up north for the summer and first time since the 80's I have not caught a walleye.

·
Registered
36 Posts
First of all I would like to thank allskater ( Andy ) for teaching me the jigging program this year. For years I was an avid wireliner on the lake and river, having lived in GP Farms with a boat in a well. I took my fair share of fish to lower the water level of the lake. I must say it's a hell of a lot more fun having someone else drive the boat and work the trolling motor, while I can concentrate on fishing. While catching Muskys and Sturgeons as a bonus. Then comes along C Monkey who turns Andy on to planer boards, the FLW, and Lake Erie. Whole new adventure. Had a blast fishing this year ( hopefully still not done ) look forward to next spring. Thanks guys for making this one of the best fun and fishing years of my life.(so far) Nice meeting you Brian. Andys dad, Dennis ( OLE065 )
PS: Oh yea I forgot to mention, I also caught a few Walleye this year but CRS is setting in and it's hard to remember how many.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
First of all I would like to thank allskater ( Andy ) for teaching me the jigging program this year. For years I was an avid wireliner on the lake and river, having lived in GP Farms with a boat in a well. I took my fair share of fish to lower the water level of the lake. I must say it's a hell of a lot more fun having someone else drive the boat and work the trolling motor, while I can concentrate on fishing. While catching Muskys and Sturgeons as a bonus. Then comes along C Monkey who turns Andy on to planer boards, the FLW, and Lake Erie. Whole new adventure. Had a blast fishing this year ( hopefully still not done ) look forward to next spring. Thanks guys for making this one of the best fun and fishing years of my life.(so far) Nice meeting you Brian. Andys dad, Dennis ( OLE065 )
PS: Oh yea I forgot to mention, I also caught a few Walleye this year but CRS is setting in and it's hard to remember how many.
yeah dennis it was nice meeting you as well! your son is a quick study and a really good fisherman, i think we can do some damage next season!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah talk about an ongoing adventure. Try to teach an old dog new tricks. Take a guy that's 57 years old and fished the river wirelining forever and have a 24 year old try and teach hime some of the finer points of jigging. I have to admit that it resulted in a few arguements(not as many as fishing with planer boards) but definitely was a good time. It's nice to be able to take your dad out fishing and show him something new and foreign to him. Nice to catch fish on a rod and reel again huh dad?

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Now that the year is coming to a close I was wondering how many of you guys keep count of fish caught during the year and what kind of numbers......
Like "ahartz" I joined the DNR diary program this year. I have not counted up the numbers but I am not unhappy with what the totals will be once the season is over. A quick look show that I have gone over 175 Walleye kept for the season plus what ever number of small ones I put back.

Not as good as the previous couple of years but nothing to complain about. This was exclusively wire-lining with just myself on the boat. I would say that only 20 of these fish were caught on lures other than Rapalas.

I am a DNR angler diary participant which is a great way to document your catch. Me and my crew caught just under 200 walleyes this season. Never went below the Ambassador bridge. This season especially we hardly ventured south of the belle isle bridge most days. This was in addition to fathering three kids, coaching baseball April-June etc.....Not bad.
Not bad at all. That section of the upper river can be productive once the holes are learned. Some holes are hot one season and cold the next year so it pays to learn as many as possible.

Oh, what does your wife have to say about you fathering 3 kids this season?? :D :D

im up to around 500 or so but i fish damn near everyday biggest was 7.75lbs this fall windmill pointe...
.....and I got the picture to prove it.:evil: :D :evil:

+++++++++

It is real easy to keep track of number of fish. Get any calendar with large squares for each day. Put in the number of hours and minutes fish and be exact since there is no point in fudging the truth. Put in the number of fish caught and the number kept. Include types of fish. I even have the number of Silver Bass caught and kept this season.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Perch: 200
Pike: 20
Salmon: 30
Musky: 10
LM Bass: 50
SM Bass: 20
Steelhead: 1
Walleye: 25 very weak
Catfish: 1