Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Time for another boat build....

1646 Views 20 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Muskeet-0
1984 model year 14' Smoker Craft, 1964 9.5hp Evinrude Sport twin, and a completely wore out galvanized heavy duty trailer.
$1150.00 and now to throw a checkbook at it.
I will tinker with a few things while I gather thoughts, ideas and form a plan. A lot in mind already. Including an electric anchor winch on hand already. Lowrance graph/chart plotter on RAM mount and some marine carpet already on hand.
Welding 2 small tears in the aluminum before the paint is a must, 1 top of the bow, 1 top of the transom. Will reinforce both points with overkill for sure. But the main bones of the boat are solid and zero holes or patches in the boat.
Starting with a degrease and pressure wash, Aluminum primer and a few coats of Olive Drab paint. Or maybe tan.... Goal of the boat is Ducks and river/puddle fishing.
The 9.5 Evinrude will be rebuilt, but then sold and replaced with an electric start 4 stroke 15-20hp. After a couple of shoulder and arm surgeries I don't need to struggle with trying to start one in the cold while steelhead or salmon fishing.

Trailer. Already done: New boards for the bunks. Wheel bearings were run dry, spun and burnt! All new races and seals included. New tires as the old ones were so weather checked that the spare blew out when I tried to inflate it. Replaced ALL of the wiring and ran through solid conduit welded to the frame, to the LED lights that came on it. Removed 250 pound of rollers and brackets, a bastard of a spare tire mount that weighed 50 pounds alone, a bubble gum welded top winch mount for a junk winch. New strap winch is now in place. New tongue jack. Steel and boards on hand to bolt on side bunks and walking planks. Also have steel tube on hand to put trailer lights up above the boat so I can see the empty trailer when I am backing it into the water.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Floor Flooring Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Working animal Automotive design Gas
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Vacation starts in 2 weeks. So no progress will be made in the month of February! Time to thaw the bones. LOL. Too cold to pressure wash for a bit anyhow. Also, IF anyone has ideas or plans for a dog swim/load platform that they would care to share- my German Shorthair will say thank you.... I have some steel and ideas, but why reinvent the wheel through trial and error if someone is willing to share what they have learned and perfected?

Other ideas for the boat? Always willing to here ideas. But keeping it light as possible with the obvious exception of the 4 stroke engine. Other operator of this boat will be my 80 year old father-in-law so newer easy start is a must.
Is that bow a separate plate of aluminum than the hull??
I think you have your work cut out for you with that project! Good luck!
Nah, close up and in person the bow is no where near what the pictures make it appear. Drill a hole to stop the crack, wire wheel and wash it and all the holes clean, then tig weld them shut. Use a piece of brass behind the hole while welding and always turns out smooth.

This is more of a reminder why you should reinforce every time you mount spot lights into thin aluminum. An 18" piece of 1"x1" angle steel in place before mounting a spotlight in this location would have stopped it from tearing out.
Gas Automotive exterior Flooring Wood Tints and shades
Automotive tire Floor Flooring Gas Asphalt
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior
Treat yourself to a wireless remote when you go to operate that winch. I have one for my rig. It's great having an extra remote.

I did this with mine last year.

Weld some beaver tails to the transom
Reactions: Muskeet-0
I got mine here

Pods are something I wanted and searched for build plans. Did not think of pre manufactured. Thanks!! Web site save until closer to that point of the build.
Agree. I can mig weld aluminum,but I paid someone to Tig, as the transom aluminum thickness is so thin. Don’t trust myself burning thru and making a mess. They have small, medium, and large size. I told them is had a 1986 14x36 Starcraft, they said go with the medium( I think), but they seemed to really know what would work
Pods are something I wanted and searched for build plans. Did not think of pre manufactured. Thanks!! Web site save until closer to that point of the build.
How do you isolate the steel backing plates? Maybe I missed it earlier.
I would remove the center seat to make more fishing room. Move the gas can to the front run gas lines through conduit to the back. Hinge a metal plate over the gas can to the front seat. This will be the dog platform for hunting. For fishing use a removable chair for the person in front. It should float better with ballast moved to front.
Reactions: ajkulish
I'm thinking 9.9 hp is max hp for that pram,and much lighter than a 15 hp 4 stroke electric start.Smoker craft stats for the 1984 deluxe pram states 700 lb capacity.With gear, gas, a battery and 2 occupants may be close.Stream and puddle fishing but not big water. Let us know how it progresses, plans sound good!
Put a 2 stroke on it

Reactions: Divers Down
Good luck with the mods. Looking forward to the progress.
Regarding pod size. I have a 14x36 flat bottom Jon and added the small pods. I think the med would be too big.
It made a really big difference for me
  • Helpful
Some progress has been made. Wiring is all in except for 2 reversable switches for the anchor winch. They will be here tomorrow. 1 for the bow and 1 for the control box. Group 24 battery and box mounted with nylon stand offs. Mounted a NEMA rated water tight power box and sealed all holes made. Mounted a pair of bus bars inside it to terminate and secure all wiring. Shrink wrapped all connections.
Fold down transom light, flush mounted separated navigation lights, floor lights for each seat, all LED and low power consumption. New from Smoker Craft cargo and rating capacities label to keep it legal. A few rod holder bases and dock tie-off cleats added also. The ugly bow has been reformed and backed with 3"x3"x1/4" thick angle iron. Then trimmed to fit the boat winch on the trailer.

Next: got a line on a brand new 15hp electric start short shaft Merc. Will buy that after vacation if I don't find something better.
Then time to put on the side bunk guides and walking planks on the trailer. Maybe even some raised tail light posts as the mounting brackets are already bolted to the trailer.

Tire Wheel Watercraft Automotive tire Naval architecture
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive design Bumper
Wood Grey Asphalt Road surface Composite material
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior
Grey Composite material Asphalt Gas Automotive tire
Naval architecture Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design
Looks sweet.

Does the paint do well enough to protect that iron and aluminum in the bow from becoming a battery?
Some progress has been made. Wiring is all in except for 2 reversable switches for the anchor winch. They will be here tomorrow. 1 for the bow and 1 for the control box. Group 24 battery and box mounted with nylon stand offs. Mounted a NEMA rated water tight power box and sealed all holes made. Mounted a pair of bus bars inside it to terminate and secure all wiring. Shrink wrapped all connections.
Fold down transom light, flush mounted separated navigation lights, floor lights for each seat, all LED and low power consumption. New from Smoker Craft cargo and rating capacities label to keep it legal. A few rod holder bases and dock tie-off cleats added also. The ugly bow has been reformed and backed with 3"x3"x1/4" thick angle iron. Then trimmed to fit the boat winch on the trailer.

Next: got a line on a brand new 15hp electric start short shaft Merc. Will buy that after vacation if I don't find something better.
Then time to put on the side bunk guides and walking planks on the trailer. Maybe even some raised tail light posts as the mounting brackets are already bolted to the trailer.

View attachment 880851 View attachment 880852 View attachment 880853 View attachment 880854 View attachment 880855 View attachment 880856
A layer of rubber in between keeps that from happening. Good thought, got it covered. LOL

Paint on the boat is actually Self Etching Primer for aluminum. 5 coats on the boat. Also 8 coats of primer and paint on the steel parts and wood. Well sealed.
Floor of the boat was sanded down. 1 coat of self etching primer, 2 coats of Flex Seal to keep the noise down when I drop something... and another 4 coats of the self etching primer. Works wonders for noise reduction. Tricky part is giving the Flex Seal 78 hours to cure before painting.
Wood Floor Flooring Rectangle Gas
Looks sweet.

Does the paint do well enough to protect that iron and aluminum in the bow from becoming a battery?
Reactions: UPEsox
So yesterday I built a motor stand from plans I found on the internet.
How to Build a Portable Outboard Motor Stand
Love it! I changed it just a little. I used 4x4's as the base (have not put the casters on yet), also made it 4" longer and 6" wider. Used it to retune 2 of my old motors.
A 1992 Evinrude 8hp that now runs damn near perfect. New fuel pump, carb kit, spark plus, impeller kit, and lower unit oil change. Also pulled out the 1964 9.5hp that came with this boat and is about to become parted out and scraped. Missing control knobs, a few linkages and don't feel up to pulling the flywheel to check points and pickup coils.

Then the day took a different turn. Got a wild hair and took a drive. Came home with a new motor with EFI, electric start, and 15hp. 2022 Suzuki DF15AES4.
Probably not everyone's favorite brand, but price was right and it's good for me. Constant adjustments and tinkering with the old motors just got to me. Also wanted more than 8hp for when it's time to get off the water.
Tire Snow Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tool Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Auto part Rim
Reactions: UPEsox and The Doob
lotta things to consider before doing pods. lotta guys throw "pods" around as solution to everything. :). and don't take this the wrong way but pods aren't cheap....or installing them is not easy. when they are installed they probably won't add any value to that boat. that boat is a thin wall tin can and will literally be a bitch to tig pods on it tbh. before investing pod money into a sketchy boat......save some dollars and get a better quality boat before you start pissin that money out the window.

Hood Wood Composite material Gas Automotive exterior
1 - 20 of 21 Posts