Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a spot with lots of perch, however I'm having a hard time catching them. Its a small gravel pit and I typically wade out and fish. I can see the perch swimming in about 4-8 feet of water. I managed to catch one on a 1/16 jig and a berkley 2" ripple shad dragging it on the bottom. After that though no luck. I could see a bunch of them just staring at it but none would bite. I'm hoping someone could could give me some tips on baits or techniques that might work here. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crawlers? Minnows, what size? Leeches? Don't use live bait much. Always got sick of the little fish picking off the worms. Any better ways to rig them the the old bobber and hook? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Crawlers? Minnows, what size? Leeches? Don't use live bait much. Always got sick of the little fish picking off the worms. Any better ways to rig them the the old bobber and hook? Thanks!

i would say waxies or even soft plastics like j and s custom jigs and soft plastics the reason for the plstics is it last longer then waxies can catch 5-10 fish before they pull it off i suggest the atom jumbo wedges too there carried by www.sportsmensdirect.com . if the link does not work i will be back in a minute with the correct one. any ways a bobber and a jig and some weges. or even waxies on a size 6 bait holder hook on the main line and a bobber weighted down so it floats kinda like a low riding duck in the water lol's. so it is bareley boyant the bobber is lol's. i use small size 1/64 once jigs and wedges it realy get there attenion. i think in green and chartruse head jig and any thing bright lol's they find it twiching the bobber with the jig under it help with movment too. they also sell a perch rig at that same store i think you would like too. it ment for j and s and atom products btw it is the jumbo wedges i got. that work awesome. been using them crappie fishing and had a blast. also can use minnows but you do get picked clean faster then waxies. even gulp is better then nothing in chartruse shad or emerald shiner or smelt work good too. those were on a jig head btw or by the way. any ways best of luck.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips swaprat. From what I gather from your advice and other research is I should probably be downsizing my presentation a bit. Think I'm going to try some of those wedgees out too!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Small jig with gulp maggots?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe I have some of the Gulp maggots. Hoping to get out this week and try to put a few on the stringer. I'm going to try 1/64 and 1/32 jigs with Gulp maggots, 1" mi nows, pan fish assassins, and waxies if I can find them. Plan on ordering some stuff from sportsmans direct as soon as I can put it pass the girlfriend :) Thanks for the tips and keep'em coming if you got'em guys!

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Finesse fish em with a fly rod or 9-12 ft crappie rod.

·
Registered
82 Posts
A perch can't resist a wiggler on a 32nd oz jig. We also tip the jig with a 1-1/2" or 2 " white twister tail but have to keep it moving for a reaction strike. with the wiggler just set the jig in front of it's nose, twitch, and wait.

Good luck!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the great advice everyone! Heading out tomorrow. I'll report back on how I did! Hopefully a fried perch dinner is in the near future :)

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,424 Posts
Finesse fish em with a fly rod or 9-12 ft crappie rod.
Doesn't everybody Frank??
:lol:

I just picked up a pair of 8.5' Whuppin' Stik crappie rods for the Wife & I to use as "dead" rods with the 10' Pinnacles we usually run in hand.

My friend has been getting a lot of his fish on a horizontal ice jig with red worms.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Iceout good point, didn't really think of that. Finally made it out last night but no luck on the perch. Also forgot my minnow trap so didn't get to try the live minnows like I wanted. Did manage to catch 2 decent crappie which was a surprise. Didn't know this body of water had them in it. Anyway have next week off with nothing to do but fish, hopefully I can report back with better results then!

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Doesn't everybody Frank??
:lol:

I just picked up a pair of 8.5' Whuppin' Stik crappie rods for the Wife & I to use as "dead" rods with the 10' Pinnacles we usually run in hand.

My friend has been getting a lot of his fish on a horizontal ice jig with red worms.
Heck when I was a kid and perch were plentiful we had 5 ft. steel rods. :lol: Different times and different methods. When they are really hitting you can catch em on a broomstick. Even with a fast bite it's more fun with a long limber rod.:)

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,424 Posts
I agree - I remember Dad had some telescoping metal rods when I was a tyke....

Here's those jigs that have been good.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts