Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been fishing a small body of water for the past week. Last Sat. morning ended up with 18 nice gills 7-8 1/2". But since then they have been in lock jaw mode. It's a total sight fishing area with water only 3 foot deep. There are plenty of fish down there but nothing will hit. They turned on for about 10 minutes last night and I ended up with 8 gills.

I've tried every color style flashers and even last night I took out a couple size 16 nymph hooks and put on a small piece of waxie and that is what they turned on to for the little while and then that didn't work either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, it gets frustrating sitting there for 3 hours straight and always having fish by your bait but no takers.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :confused:

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
.... start feeding them dynomite!

Seriosly, Have you tried a tight line rig with a fly? Switch baits to either a mousy or a spike.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,449 Posts
#14 RaTT Finkee , small wiggler on tip.....

·
Registered
195 Posts
use a light flourocarbon leader,1 or 2 pound and an ice fly, size14 or so with a spike or a nutworm. don't use a bobber just jig very slowly up and down from the bottom to a foot under the ice.:)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yet another reason I have become addicted to this site.

A special thanks goes out to Burksee. I tied on a genz worm, I then tied on a #14 black gnat about 8" above it with a 4" dropper line. This seemed to get alot of attention still only marginal success. I then tipped the fly 1/4 piece of a berkley power grub. The fish inhaled the fly and just swam off.

Ended up catching a good meal for the wife and I and let go about 2 meals. I'm trying to keep them fresh :D :p ;) .
I also missed a couple crappie on it right at dark. They inhaled it but it pulled free of their mouths without much resistance. It's so small it does just pop out from time to time.

Anyways, thanks for the advice!!! It's definately worth having a few flies in the box to add to the arsenal.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Glad to here it worked for you!

I picked that suggestion from another thread here awhile back and have had some success with it as well. Anyone here interested in this rig take a look at this link.

http://iceteam.com/2004annual/touchyperch.htm

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's my rig exactly except here in michigan we need to make the fly dropper at least 3" it seems to work good with the 3" The fly drops very slowly to it's resting spot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts