Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...ESPN's Keith Law says:

The Tigers have the worst farm system in baseball, according to ESPN's Keith Law. Law's annual farm system rankings were published Wednesday (pay site) and his outlook for the Tigers is not promising: "They've traded five of their top 10 prospects from last year's list (Nos. 3, 4, 5, 8 and 10) and made their top guy from that list, Nick Castellanos, their everyday third baseman. The No. 9 prospect in the system, Endrys Briceno, blew out his elbow, and the No. 2 prospect, Daniel Fields, fought a wrist injury all year. I loved their first-rounder from last year (OF Derek Hill), but I had to build their top 10 almost completely from scratch because of how actively Dave Dombrowski uses what he has in the system." Law's top five organizations, in order, are the Cubs, Twins, Astros, Mets and Red Sox.

·
Registered
18,996 Posts
I wonder how he ranks their Major League system ? Is there a MLB team that has won more games in the last 5 years ? I have not Googled this question, so I don't know the answer.

L & O

·
Registered
10,797 Posts
So what have the Astros, Padres, Rangers, Cubs, Twins, Diamondbacks, or Braves won lately? All are rated in the top 10 of MLB farm systems. So what..............they have rated farm systems, what has it done for their MLB parent clubs, nothing lately that I've seen.

The object of the parent club is to put fans in the seats, win the Division and make the playoffs. The Tigers have done a better job of that than the vast majority of MLB teams over the past number of years. I like it that West Michigan, Erie and Toledo are winning, but I like it a lot more to see the Tigers winning. If that means keeping the farm system cleaned out, then so be it.

The Tigers top three farm teams finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th in their divisions in 2014 and the parent club won their division. Sounds like Keith Law needs to find another occupation, I'd call his baseball accumen at the bottom of his profession. :evil:

·
Registered
18,996 Posts
Well, Google was no help. So I had to do my own math. I may have made a mistake(s).

Went back 4 years. The only team in baseball to win 4 straight Divisional titles.....DETROIT

The team with the most regular season wins in the last 4 years..DETROIT

AL:
Detroit--366
NY Yanks--361
Oak A's---353

NL
St. Louis --365
Wash-------360
Atlanta-----358
LA Dod-----358

S.F has won 2 W.S. in the last 4 years, but regular season wins are at 344

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/#20140928

L & O

·
Premium Member
14,856 Posts
Well, Google was no help. So I had to do my own math. I may have made a mistake(s).

Went back 4 years. The only team in baseball to win 4 straight Divisional titles.....DETROIT

The team with the most regular season wins in the last 4 years..DETROIT

AL:
Detroit--366
NY Yanks--361
Oak A's---353

NL
St. Louis --365
Wash-------360
Atlanta-----358
LA Dod-----358

S.F has won 2 W.S. in the last 4 years, but regular season wins are at 344

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/#20140928

L & O

all the wins are great and all but its about time for the big one. One and dones in the playoffs dont cut it (and shouldnt cut it anymore)...
ANything less then at least one WS title should be looked at as failure for the tigers of te Verlander era.

·
Banned
11,515 Posts
all the wins are great and all but its about time for the big one. One and dones in the playoffs dont cut it (and shouldnt cut it anymore)...
ANything less then at least one WS title should be looked at as failure for the tigers of te Verlander era.
Yup, I hate those Tigers! The ones that never won anything that I remember. I remember growing up listening to the 2 All Star Games! When they won in 68 MEL, you were just a dream! You have no idea what a Tiger fan is! Yup we are stupid, but pretty loyal!:lol:

·
Registered
10,797 Posts
It certainly would be nice, but there's plenty of names much bigger than Verlander that never won WS rings.

Verlander would probably be lucky to make it on this list, but I wouldn't consider his career failure at this point if he never won a WS ring. (Cabrera either)

It's hard to say the careers of Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, Griffey Jr, Fergie Jenkins, Rod Carew, Don Sutton, Gaylord Perry, Robin Yount, Tony Gwynn, Yaz, Ernie Banks were failures because they didn't win a WS ring.

Wanna look up the Hall Of Famers that didn't win a WS, there's already a bunch of them on this list?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/799264-the-40-greatest-mlb-players-to-never-win-a-ring

·
Banned
11,515 Posts
It certainly would be nice, but there's plenty of names much bigger than Verlander that never won WS rings.

Verlander would probably be lucky to make it on this list, but I wouldn't consider his career failure at this point if he never won a WS ring. (Cabrera either)

It's hard to say the careers of Ty Cobb, Ted Williams, Griffey Jr, Fergie Jenkins, Rod Carew, Don Sutton, Gaylord Perry, Robin Yount, Tony Gwynn, Yaz, Ernie Banks were failures because they didn't win a WS ring.

Wanna look up the Hall Of Famers that didn't win a WS, there's already a bunch of them on this list?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/799264-the-40-greatest-mlb-players-to-never-win-a-ring
I never realized Ty Cobb didn't win a WS! Is that true? Or weren't WS invented back then?

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,161 Posts
Should the Tigers aspire to be like the Mets, Cubs, Astros, Twins? I understand the topic is good farm systems but what good is it if you aren't in the running?

I'd say the Tigers are doing well for themselves lately despite what people point out as flaws in the organization. Lets face it, they been there just a couple time didn't finish out on top.....how's a "better" farm system going to change that?

·
Registered
10,797 Posts
Should the Tigers aspire to be like the Mets, Cubs, Astros, Twins? I understand the topic is good farm systems but what good is it if you aren't in the running?

I'd say the Tigers are doing well for themselves lately despite what people point out as flaws in the organization. Lets face it, they been there just a couple time didn't finish out on top.....how's a "better" farm system going to change that?
It wouldn't, but there's some DD haters here that will tell you it would change everything. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,856 Posts
Yup, I hate those Tigers! The ones that never won anything that I remember. I remember growing up listening to the 2 All Star Games! When they won in 68 MEL, you were just a dream! You have no idea what a Tiger fan is!
'68 I was just a dream? What the hell are you talking about??? My favorite play that year was watching Willie thro out Lou Brock at home plate....was game 5 I think. Was sitting in left field when we won the 84 series, as I was in every 84 po st season home game.
Yeah, I'm not as good a fan as you think you are;)

·
Registered
18,996 Posts

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Many here seem to be missing the point of why this is relevant. It has very little to do with how they are going to play this year, but it makes it hard for them to sustain as winners like they have. Right or wrong, DD has been selling prospects for several years and the pool is just about empty. They went all in and it will likely mean several dark years around the corner, hopefully they get a WS this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
10,797 Posts
Many here seem to be missing the point of why this is relevant. It has very little to do with how they are going to play this year, but it makes it hard for them to sustain as winners like they have. Right or wrong, DD has been selling prospects for several years and the pool is just about empty. They went all in and it will likely mean several dark years around the corner, hopefully they get a WS this year.

With DD's history of building and maintaining teams, I'll keep
my money on him.

He's getting paid to put fans in the seats in Detroit not in GR, Erie and Toledo.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
With DD's history of building and maintaining teams, I'll keep

my money on him.

He's getting paid to put fans in the seats in Detroit not in GR, Erie and Toledo.

I agree his job is to make the MLB team better. The problem is he has done that by selling prospects for established players. It looks like he has finally run out of assets that people are going to be willing to give up in exchange for established major leaguers. Then what!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I agree his job is to make the MLB team better. The problem is he has done that by selling prospects for established players. It looks like he has finally run out of assets that people are going to be willing to give up in exchange for established major leaguers. Then what!

And how have those prospects turned out? If we hadn't traded them away would they be playing for the team right now or would they still be in the farm system?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts