Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever caught a Tiger Trout before? I noticed there was a state reecord listed for them, but had never heard of them before. It was quite a challenge to even find a picture of one.

They are a cross between a male brown and a female brookie.

I came across a article about other cross-breds as well:

Brownbow - (Obvious) Male brown X Female rainbow

Brake- Male brown X Female lake trout

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
I guess I have heard of them before, but never saw one or heard of any one catching one before. I'll get ahold of Tom Rozich and ask him about them, I probably won't hear from him until Monday, but I'll post something about it when I hear from him.

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
I recieved an e-mail from Tom Rozich from the DNR late last nite, and he confirmed what you said about the Tiger Trout. It is a cross breed that occurs naturally in some streams. They(DNR) have heard of some in the Pine River and also a couple places in the U.P. But they are rare, and it would be a waste of time, obviously, to target them. It is sort of like the Coaster Brookies from the past. They are still around in very limited numbers, except in the area of Isle Royale, but occasionally someone gets into one.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Well, I'm going to the pine river this weekend. Maybe lightning will strike and I'll catch a tiger ;)

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
Hopefull not by the tail, HEHEHEHE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts