Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this TIE TV the living fly tying legend Andreas Andersson shows how to tie one of his own fantastic flies - the Unholy Diver.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
In this TIE TV the living fly tying legend Andreas Andersson shows how to tie one of his own fantastic flies - the Unholy Diver.

He always makes them look so clean....and the tie so effortless.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Administrator
35,728 Posts
Love the action on that fly but I would be sick to my stomach if I lost one. If it takes him almost an hour to show how to tie it, it would take me hours a piece.

·
Premium Member
16,141 Posts
I like those shanks. I tied up quite a few articulated flies this winter for my alaska trip using those shanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While long and being a little bit tedious or boring for some, If you watch the video there are often little hidden gems for techniques that would go unaddressed for just a simple tying recipe. These tricks of the trade from Fly tying masters are what often eludes beginners and novice tyers.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
While long and being a little bit tedious or boring for some, If you watch the video there are often little hidden gems for techniques that would go unaddressed for just a simple tying recipe. These tricks of the trade from Fly tying masters are what often eludes beginners and novice tyers.
I agree. I have watched Andreas videos over and over. He has amazing techniques and if you pay attention you can learn so much about manipulating the materials as you apply them. He’s one of my favorite tyers no doubt

Reactions: PunyTrout

·
Registered
8,785 Posts

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
I like the way that video was shot. Fast paced yet detailed enough to give a fly tyer with experience the gist of the recipe.
Exactly. One detail in particular that’s huge with all deer hair is applying that last clump of deer hair and the angle of the thread going back towards the hook point flaring the hair and keeping your thread and hair from jumping off the hook eye if you were to pull strait down. I love the hybrid Gartside spinning/stacking technique he uses in a lot of his ties. Super easy and durable too!

·
Super Moderator
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Exactly. One detail in particular that’s huge with all deer hair is applying that last clump of deer hair and the angle of the thread going back towards the hook point flaring the hair and keeping your thread and hair from jumping off the hook eye if you were to pull strait down. I love the hybrid Gartside spinning/stacking technique he uses in a lot of his ties. Super easy and durable too!

The fact that he uses a soldering tip to burn the hair around the eye is another good technique.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
The fact that he uses a soldering tip to burn the hair around the eye is another good technique.
For sure. I bought one of those cauterizes right after I seen him do that. It is SUPER handy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts