Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having a problem with ticks this year? It seams like every time i go into the woods ive got em on me. I wonder if the warm winter has something to do with the excessive amount this year.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i have notice the same this year i was thinking the same thing you were
Memorial weekend in the UP. Go for a short hour walk in the woods. Come back with at least a dozen on me!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I heard it's bad in the midwest IL, IN, MN WI all have the same problem

·
Registered
171 Posts
What's the fix for gettin' them off of you? I forgot, but I thought I remembered you're not spodda leave any part of it behind...

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
buddy of mine got one on him and left a bullseye on him 2 weeks ago and is on antibiotics,doc told him its a bad year for them,to answer your question tsuds i think tweezers is what your supposed to use to get them off.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Gander Mountain and Cabela's have a device called a" tick key", I have one and have used it with success. There are other devices out there, most are a prying device.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Have not seen a lot here in MI. But in PA where we hunt they have exploded... we use a spray to keep them off us while working on the property that my brother got from the military guysheworks with (gunsmith for the military).

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
I was in the NELP for a night about a month ago and they were bad and I had sprayed the insect repellent on pretty heavy too and still ended up having them on me (however none had implanted on me). I bought some permethrin repellent for my cloths and should be out in the woods in the next few days so I'll see how it does.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Putting a lit cig or just a lighter to their ass will make them back right out

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
There are tick removal Twizzers (for lack of a better name), but there is always a chance of breaking off the head inside. I have used and cotton ball soaked in alcohol or a alcohol prep pad. The idea is to get them to back out. The prep pads are nice since they come in a wrapper. Put a couple in your pocket or pack and they are there when you need them. FRANK

·
Registered
312 Posts
in Missaukee county they are rel bad.every time the family goes to the cottage we do an inspection.some one always gets one.ive had one embedded in the back of my neck and my son had one n his calf.they say you should use tweezers, ive also heard that the heat from a cigar or cig will make them vomit i9nside before they back out.just what ive heard.hopefully we get a real deep freeze this winter...b safe

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Have not seen a lot here in MI. But in PA where we hunt they have exploded... we use a spray to keep them off us while working on the property that my brother got from the military guysheworks with (gunsmith for the military).
Please tell me you weren't spraying the premetherin directly onto you? The best way to get them off of you without risk of leaving the head in is smothering them in vaseline. It suffocates them and they back out to try to get some air and you can remove them.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Putting a lit cig or just a lighter to their ass will make them back right out

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Medical advice states not to do this because they, can(and often will) discharge their "contents" into you. This is also why sqeezing them is a bad idea, and why you have to get their heads out. The best recommended choice is to run into an urgent care to have them pulled out. The vaseline option sounds interesting, ill have to try it next time. I've also heard letting them feed till they back out and drop off on their own is an option.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Medical advice states not to do this because they, can(and often will) discharge their "contents" into you. This is also why sqeezing them is a bad idea, and why you have to get their heads out. The best recommended choice is to run into an urgent care to have them pulled out. The vaseline option sounds interesting, ill have to try it next time. I've also heard letting them feed till they back out and drop off on their own is an option.
We use the vaseline on my guys when we are in the field. Best option I think...any sort of pulling is a bad idea..and I don't think I would want to let them feed on me..wouldn't want to expose myself to lyme any longer than I have to.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Please tell me you weren't spraying the premetherin directly onto you? The best way to get them off of you without risk of leaving the head in is smothering them in vaseline. It suffocates them and they back out to try to get some air and you can remove them.
No not on us, clothes.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
had a dozen on us today here in MICHIGAN. First time in my life I've seen them. My kids thought it was crazy too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
our dog had one on him over the weekend. first ive ever seen and ive been running these woods since i was little.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
this spring during 2 different occassions found ticks on me first time in 16yrs of property ownership. one of the times was while Jake Ehlinger was walking my property for an Habitat solutions evaluation.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Oh yeah, I've had at least one...almost every time out.

I read that the only recommended way to remove them is a pointed tweezer, gently grab the head and slowly pull them slightly up and out. Any other method could increase chances of infection due to them expelling juice into your body. So far this worked on the 2 buried in my back.
Grosses the wife out but she's my tweezer man. :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts