Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gregm, FindTheBird, and me meet at Ionia Field trial grounds to run dogs this afternoon. As I was getting ready I heard Greg say the ticks were bad. He should have said they were scary! I had a dozen on me when I got home and I'm still finding them on the two dogs I took. Other than that all went well. All dogs found birds (except Abbey) all dogs backed (except Abbey). Thanks Greg for the invite we will have to due it again. There is another big trial this weekend so there should be lots of birds again. Next time I'll have some tick spray. Here are a few pictures I took out there.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I was at Ionia for a Vizsla trial about 3 weeks ago and the ticks were bad then. I had 3 on me and the puppy had 3 on her as well. Two days after I got back I was still finding them in the car, in the house and in my bed. It doesn't surprise me to hear they were that much worse today.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
I hate ticks!:rant:

Looks like I need to get some Permethrin before I travel there!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Looks like a good day's training. I share Joel's sentiments. I hate ticks!

Put the Frontline on the dogs this past weekend, but so far down here I haven't run into the little buggers. Jake is over 3 years old and I can't remember ever picking a tick off him, and I look every time we come back from a day out in the field.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I've seen more ticks this year than ever: Last night I had 2 on me, and 6 on Major and we were only out for something like an hour! Despite the high beasty count, it was a good run though.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I don't know what it is about Field Trial grounds, but the two worst places I've ever been to in terms of ticks are Ionia and Highland, and skunks aren't too far behind Ticks at either place. So far so good on me, I didn't find any and haven't found any on Elliot, but I need to look again today on Elliot to make sure.

Definitley a good run last night, although I didn't realize it was going to be that warm. I over-worked Elliot on the road before I went out there last night (4 miles) thinking it would be cool and he'd be running all over the place. As it was, he was pretty pooped and didn't range much. However, he was limping when we got home and is still not fully putting weight on his back leg this morning, so that may have had more to do with it than anything.

I'm glad we were able to get some into some birds, although I was surprised how poorly they were flying, I figured the poor fliers would be hawk or varmit bait by now.

The next three weekends have events, so birds will be there at least through early June, then, I believe, there are no events until MUCC in early August.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I was talking to the vet last night and she said a lot of clients are saying that the Ionia grounds are loaded with ticks more than other areas.

She said one guy from Hudsonville that trials Brits said some of the guys from down south had ticks all over their dogs when they let them out. . .maybe these are out-of-state ticks?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
NEMichsportsman said:
I hate ticks!:rant:

Looks like I need to get some Permethrin before I travel there!
Joel,

The ticks were REALLY thick last week when I turkey hunted in Allegan Co. That Permanone works AWESOME for ticks. I highly recommend it. I'd use a back up for skeeters though on your face and neck.

-J

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
In our area its April to August that the ticks are out. I dont let my mutts near the weeds during that time.

I know all you guys that have had tick on you can relate to this. You find that tick on your arm or where ever and pluck it off. But then for the rest of the day your freaking out over the slightest little itch thinking its another tick:yikes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts