Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys used either of these reels? Looking to try something new on the musky this year. Seeking any opinions, good or bad on either or both. Thanks in advance!

OR

·
Super Moderator
37,742 Posts
Why the change? Have you been having problems with your Abu's? Look at the Penn Internationals, they are sweet, bulletproof reels.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh you know me, always have me eye open for a new reel.

The UC that I got from you, is holding up really well. My only compaint with it, is its not as smooth as a shimano, and the 65xx's just dont fit my hand as well as I would like. I still plan to get a ton of use out of the uc though, and to be perfectly honest, had planned on just buying another one of those, but the only source I can find for them has them listed at about $115 new.

So in that price range, I figured I would look around a little bit. That lead me to the okuma, which after my recent experiences with their trolling reels, seemed a good option. Then I saw the Tica, which looked even better.

My Abu C4, the roller bearing is completely shot, and it has never felt right after the first season. I cant even work a small jerk bait with it anymore. For some reason, none of my reels like twitching 10" jakes. :D

That has me searching for something new, something smooth, something bulletproof. Hence the okuma and tica.

The only problem I see with the PENNs is that I will be looking like popeye by June 1st. They dont look light!

·
Super Moderator
37,742 Posts
Twitching 10" Jakes, you will be looking like Popeye by June no matter what the reel.LOL Ever meet a muskie caster who could fit his forearms into a shirt that fit the rest of him?:eek:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its kind of like the big lake trollers that have calf muscles as big as their thighs from walking around on the boat in waves all the time. Im gonna have to start lifting weights so the rest of my body isnt out of proportion with my calves and forearms. :)

EDIT: New plan, increase beer consumption to fill in everything between calves and forearms. :D

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ESOX: I had looked at those briefly. Quantum is a bit of a question mark for me. I used their spinning reels growing up on bass and pike. I went through a bunch of them, but always went back to them because they were inexpensive and I liked the firing pin dealio. Ive talked with a lot of guys that do not much care for quantums baitcasters. But recently, ive also seen some very positive reviews of the cabo pt trolling reels. I think I am going to just make a trip down to cabelas, and get a good look at several reels side by side, then decide on the spot. Its always easier to make up your mind when you have money in one hand, and a reel in the other. :D

As much as I love the Okuma trolling reels, and as much of an Okuma zealot liking them has made me, I may have to stick with Okuma just on general principle. :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lunker: Thanks for the info. Ive heard mixed reviews on the nitryx, but more good than bad. I know of a couple of very prominent musky nuts that have switched exclusively to okuma recently and swear by their toughness. The Induron is basically an improved nitryx as I understand it, so I may just have to give one a shot!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im 50/50 on the abus. Ive got one I love (UC-6501; thanks ESOX!) and one that I cant keep working good for more than 30 minutes these days(C4-5601). I tend to have kind of a love/hate relationship with them overall.

Im a left handed retrieve kind of guy for casting reels, so that rules out the B series and the Morrum.

If I were going to go with another Abu I think it would be another UC. Maybe a 5601, or maybe another 6501. Thats my "if all else fails" plan. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts