Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
58 minute limit. Decided to time it when I got there. Fished out in front of St. Jeans, 29FOW. 5:58 pm Started out with the jig I had on last time I was out. Chartruese with perch colored FinS. One pass... nothing. Ran back up and switched to my blue/white and rainbow trout FinS and... bang. Two fish right away. Second drift... BIG HIT!!!:yikes: Then it came halfway up easily. That's when the fun began. Got it close to the surface and caught a glimpse of a huge fish! At first I thought it was a sturgeon. Then it ran again. 20 minutes to get it to the top and it was a HUGE musky! Tried to net it a couple of times but no way it was fitting in my walleye net. I tried to shake the hook loose without boating the fish but she was hooked good. I managed her in the boat with my hands after she got tired out a little and took a quick measurement. She was my biggest ever! 48"!!!:woohoo1: What a rush!!! There wasn't another boat in sight. I was all alone out there for most of the time I was out. Next drift picked up my last 3 fish in 10 or 15 minutes and by that time it was pouring but I was one happy angler!:D Line out of the water at 6:56 pm. That 8lb Fireline sure lived up to it's reputation tonite.:coolgleam

Water was stained but extremely fishable on US side. Canadian side is all messed up again so the weekend looks like US waters for most people. This weather didn't seem to affect the fish. They are still hot and heavy and very aggressive. Water temp in front of St. Jeans 48 degrees.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Derek, we need to get you into a full time job, so us over here on the other side of the state don't have to be jealous for several months of the year.

Glad to hear you are still pounding them. I am trying to figure out how to get back over there again, now that the weather and water temps are improving. Maybe this time I can leave my -85 degree Sorel boots back home.

Thought I would end my turkey season early but after missing the biggest turkey of my life on Monday night at 15 yards, I know what I will be doing this weekend. Getting my eyes checked and trying to redeem myself.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
koz bow said:
Derek, we need to get you into a full time job, so us over here on the other side of the state don't have to be jealous for several months of the year.

Glad to hear you are still pounding them. I am trying to figure out how to get back over there again, now that the weather and water temps are improving. Maybe this time I can leave my -85 degree Sorel boots back home.

Thought I would end my turkey season early but after missing the biggest turkey of my life on Monday night at 15 yards, I know what I will be doing this weekend. Getting my eyes checked and trying to redeem myself.
:lol:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Shoulda ditch the wings game and fished with you brutha! Congrats on the big ski! Talk to you tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
You got to love that quick limit!! I will be heading out in the morning....may make a pass on the canadien side to see if anything is happening with handlining some bright baits.....If water is too dirty....I may try a little jigging down by chene park!

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
Thanks for the report. Should be out this weekend if I don't go up north Hubbard Lake to plant trees. tightlinesyall

1 - 7 of 7 Posts