Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
Walleye doing pretty good river mouth , north shore, grassy, I Heard a report of 14 kings in 2 trips out of rockport but I dont know if I believe it. Rumor has it that some type of red shrimp is spawning in the thunder bay river and the local biologist think that it will be a source of food for other baitfish.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Reports Thunder Bay: Last Sat night most sucessful early May Walleye tournament that the ThunderBay walleye club has ever had. All Boats weight in there 5 fish and some caught as many as 20. Winning weight was around 21 lbs. Everyone was happy and most were caught in daylight.

They did catch 3 salmon only reason I will say salmon is I did not see what kind.

Now Rockport. Some of my mates were running small boats there a week or 2 ago and called and told me they were fishing browns and caught cohos? Told them to take photos and let me see them. They were all Atlantics and very healthy 4 to 6 lb fish by photos.

Now Red Shrimp deal. These invasive species were found at Muskegon and Otswego? NY The people studying them said of course came from Ballast. They said at meetings in April on Lake Huron that Thunderbay would be a hot-spot because same type of ships that go into Muskegon go into Alpena.
Last week they found them in the ThunderBay river at the mouth. Now they look like scuds or freshwater shrimp but bright red. They might not
be all bad! I have sheets on them but not with me right now. AT Muskegon the water with them in was bright red so many shrimp. Capt ED

Also, Lake Trout up and down the coast. All Fish feeding on Smelt, gobies,
some alewifes and shriners.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I gave the Bay a try after work. Picked up 2 quick eyes on the first pass and had to work hard for 2 more. All fish were on the smaller side compared to what Thunder bay can produce.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Trout Scout wrote:
Now Rockport. Some of my mates were running small boats there a week or 2 ago and called and told me they were fishing browns and caught cohos? Told them to take photos and let me see them. They were all Atlantics and very healthy 4 to 6 lb fish by photos.
Hey TS, those Atlantics are being caught from Alpena to the Thumb, I've been hearing from quite a few people about them. I seen one caught April 27 off the north pier in Oscoda.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Ed and Dennis, havent seen any of those red things here at the 'Ville yet. A couple of Kings and a nice coho and all of the lakers that you would want. Walleye has been good here too!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.