Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a FYI and be on the lookout...
Should be a decent return of Coho's to some choice harbors in the thumb very very soon. If you don't believe me check out the DNR stocking site. There were a few weeks of really good fishing last Sept too.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Without them getting stocked in or near any major tributaries they still come back to the same ports to try and make a spawning run?
I was under the assumption that any anadromous fish stocked straight into a lake would go to a close major trib like Au Sable per say or go over to a Canadian trib.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sweet thanks for sharing. Never caught a coho yet, but its a major bucket list fish for me. I have spots and baits/lures in my mind. Curious about timing though. Can you fish them overnight like Kings from the pier, or is it more of an evening/early morning bite? Or something else all together. Thanks again for sharing this!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sweet thanks for sharing. Never caught a coho yet, but its a major bucket list fish for me. I have spots and baits/lures in my mind. Curious about timing though. Can you fish them overnight like Kings from the pier, or is it more of an evening/early morning bite? Or something else all together. Thanks again for sharing this!
We actually sight fished them, which was insanely fun. I would imagine they would bite at night as well.

Sent from my moto z4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
29 Posts
We actually sight fished them, which was insanely fun. I would imagine they would bit at night as well.

Wow that sounds like a blast! After many sun up to sundown skunks I gave up on those Atlantics, but I'll make the drive to try for a coho or two! Haha hopefully I have better luck with those! Nicer weather too

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
For sure captain Jake. Love to fish with ya and Jr. up there.

Cheers my old freind just wana send ya heavy shout! Puts a smile on my face dat we got 2nd generation silver fash chasers;) I'd would never have thought dat back in are day.we were pioneers with are tactics back then inn are hay days God bless and fashon4life:) I shall never forget them 10 fash kangbangs inn harbor Beach n over dare

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers my old freind just wana send ya heavy shout! Puts a smile on my face dat we got 2nd generation silver fash chasers;) I'd would never have thought dat back in are day.we were pioneers with are tactics back then inn are hay days God bless and fashon4life:) I shall never forget them 10 fash kangbangs inn harbor Beach n over dare
Was just thinking the same thing Jake...man we are gettin old .....but DAMN the good ole days of Lexington, and HB Kang runs were my first real fishing adventures...LOVE those days. Great seeing you got a twin that loves it like you do as well.

·
Premium Member
30,290 Posts
Just a FYI and be on the lookout...
Should be a decent return of Coho's to some choice harbors in the thumb very very soon. If you don't believe me check out the DNR stocking site. There were a few weeks of really good fishing last Sept too.
Used to love fishing PA harbor during a good NE blow in late September/early October. Them kings would be everywhere. We'd just cast spoons off the launch docks at night or fish by gas dock at daylight with skein under bobbers. Was great fishing. Of course this was back in the 3 fish days of the 90s. Wonder if the Hos will come in there at night?

·
Registered
15,412 Posts
Used to love fishing PA harbor during a good NE blow in late September/early October. Them kings would be everywhere. We'd just cast spoons off the launch docks at night or fish by gas dock at daylight with skein under bobbers. Was great fishing. Of course this was back in the 3 fish days of the 90s. Wonder if the Hos will come in there at night?
I had a co-worker (retired now) who used to fish bird creek religiously until the kings disappeared. Makes me wonder how many of the 75k Ho's made it in the Port Hope fall plant.

·
Registered
15,412 Posts
How long do coho stay in the lake before spawning? Say they were planted at 5.5" in the spring of 2019. What year would they return?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I’m no expert, I’ve always considered Great Lake cohos to be on average a 2-3 year fish. I guess….having said that. Last fall I landed or saw others land hen ho’s that were in the 18-20 inch range maybe 3 lbs or so that were spitting eggs. Either they had a tuff couple years or they were less then 2ys. On the other hand the largest Ho last fall was pushing 10. As you know it’s not uncommon to see males that small. What I’ve always referred to “jacks” all decked out and with milk spitting all over the place. Can’t say I’ve seen that a lot with hens. Just my opinion. I’ll bet the official or correct answer would be coho in the wild have a life span of 2-4 years. I think.

·
Registered
15,412 Posts
Some of the reading I've done claim they hatch in the spring. They spend up to one year in the stream/river and will be around 12" in length. They leave the river then spend 18 months or so in the lake before returning. Some males/jacks will return after only 6 months. They spawn at 2-4 years but I would guess 2 and 4 are outliers so we look at 3 for the majority. What throws me off is the size/age at planting. Are they one+ years when they leave the hatchery at just over 5 inches?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts