Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

961 - 980 of 1317 Posts

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
Ha.......so because you may wear the sweetest new camo, take scent control to a neurotic level, and obsess over the wind......that makes you a better hunter?

I'd say that reading deer sign and habitat, then finding the deer makes one a better hunter. Not the camo they wear.
Yeah, that. Biggest buck killer I know personally used to give us Winston's to smoke, said that was difference between us and him ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Eve

Everyone keeps saying that. And while I'm sure he is an ok hunter. He doesn't know the difference between a button buck and a "velit spike" he has no clue about wind. His scent regiment is sweat in awful hunting aparel and spook a bunch of deer and hope. The amount of deer pushed and spooked or that winded them is crazy. I don't get blown at that many times a year as they did in a few evening's. If they hunted Michigan more than Iowa and other big buck states there collection of bucks wouldn't be near a braggy. Imo. That said I love watching the show much better than most. And a few of the are good they just weren't hunting in this one. They all seem like fun guys to be around but not playing the wind and being scent free doesn't do a lot for ya in Michigan.
Infalt is probably the most knowledgeable whitetail hunter on wind currents and thermals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
525 Posts
Someone please tell me this bluejay signaling moving deer is a running joke with these guys, lol.

I don't want to hear about squirrels barking at other herbivores either. :rolleyes:
I believe the old saying goes "when the jays are squakin' somethings walkin' " Im not sure that it holds any truth, but I have noticed jays talking on several occasions as deer came in. specifically last weekend. There was a blue jay hopping on the forest floor and I was watching him for a while, a little buck came over the ridge and the jay flew up into the tree and went crazy, after the deer went by he shut up and flew back down to the ground again. Like I said, I don't know that it holds any truth, but I don't know that it doesn't either

·
Registered
561 Posts
Watching the THP videos has been a lot of fun and motivational. For me I went scouting new spots on the national Lakeshore and found a large community scrape and huge main trail however the topography so crazy and I was so far back

IMG_3634.JPG

I couldn’t imagine hauling a deer out of there. Probably have to come back with a hunting buddy.

·
Registered
26,568 Posts
I've never noticed any correlation with bluejays and deer. Squirrels though will squawk at deer, fox, coyotes, bluejays, another squirrel and just about anything else.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Watching the THP videos has been a lot of fun and motivational. For me I went scouting new spots on the national Lakeshore and found a large community scrape and huge main trail however the topography so crazy and I was so far back

View attachment 441681

I couldn’t imagine hauling a deer out of there. Probably have to come back with a hunting buddy.
I can do flat ground all day but the hills are a killer. I keep a knotted rope handy for the hills I can't avoid.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Eve

Everyone keeps saying that. And while I'm sure he is an ok hunter. He doesn't know the difference between a button buck and a "velit spike" he has no clue about wind. His scent regiment is sweat in awful hunting aparel and spook a bunch of deer and hope. The amount of deer pushed and spooked or that winded them is crazy. I don't get blown at that many times a year as they did in a few evening's. If they hunted Michigan more than Iowa and other big buck states there collection of bucks wouldn't be near a braggy. Imo. That said I love watching the show much better than most. And a few of the are good they just weren't hunting in this one. They all seem like fun guys to be around but not playing the wind and being scent free doesn't do a lot for ya in Michigan.
When you only have a few days to hunt a new area the aggressive tactic Dan uses is highly effective. He seems to understand where the bucks will be bedded from looking at satellite images, but the only way to know for sure is to get right right to the edge of that spot and find the fresh buck sign. In high density areas, he’s going to blow out some deer doing that.

He does hunt the wind as far as paying attention that his scent isn’t blowing into where he thinks a buck is bedded. My guess is he has multiple spots pegged on a map to check and then picks where he goes based on the wind that day. If he finds good buck sign, he sets up and hunts. If he doesn’t, he moves on to a different spot. He doesn’t have time to hunt a good looking funnel and just wait them out.

It is a much different style of hunting than if you have all season to hunt an area. In that case a guy would take more precautions to not push the deer around because you can screw up the spot for later in the season. Scent control and waiting for the buck to make a move rather than risk spooking him out is the name of the game.

As far a scent control, I quit worrying about that years ago. I know I get winded once in a while, but not by the deer I am actually hunting that day. I make an educated guess where I think the buck I want is bedded and just set up according to the wind for that spot. Since going to that tactic rather than always “playing it safe” my success rate on older bucks has gone way up. I can literally smoke in my stand and still kill a 3 1/2 yo buck that sit if I have set up correctly.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I never really got into hunting shows. This one got me and wonder how many guys would have moved there stand after other hunters walked threw
I had to do that last year. Though the move only yielded turkeys, not deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
The 3 deer I seen yesterday a.m. the blue Jays and a squirrel were making all kinds of racket, looked at direction squirrel was throwing a fit and guess what... The deer followed from exactly where squirrel was looking. Just like when they "pick us off" . My uncle's, dad and buddy's always had us shoot blue Jays for target practice while squirrel hunting for that reason. They're not wrong
I don't doubt for a second animals alarming for predators. For deer that are no threat and they live with everyday, not buying it. I have a lot of squirrels in my woods. They routinely forage side by side with deer. The only thing they have problem with other than predators, is other squirrels. JMO.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
When I was a kid I was told that a blue jay is the sign of a buck. I always go on alert when I hear a blue jay.
Many years ago I had an old timer tell me to look for chickadees. If there were several flitting around in the brush, there was a buck bedded near by. I didn't believe that wives tale either lol.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Many years ago I had an old timer tell me to look for chickadees. If there were several flitting around in the brush, there was a buck bedded near by. I didn't believe that wives tale either lol.
By that logic there must be hundreds of bucks bedded in the few acres behind my house lol

Reactions: Dish7

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Eve

I disagree. He fully understands how to play the wind. Watch his Hill Country DVD and I bet you’ll learn something. His style is aggressive. He’s pushing boundaries because he rarely ever hunts the same tree twice. He sets up on borderline wind directions on purpose sometimes because he knows big bucks want the wind in their favor, not the hunters favor. Usually when he does this, he sets up so that any deer that will wind him, he could’ve already shot. There’s not much point in playing it safe and walking on egg shells if you don’t plan to hunt that spot again. Dan hunts heavily pressured public land in SE Wisconsin and routinely shoots bucks that others don’t even see because he’s not afraid to get close.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
I disagree. He fully understands how to play the wind. Watch his Hill Country DVD and I bet you’ll learn something. His style is aggressive. He’s pushing boundaries because he rarely ever hunts the same tree twice. He sets up on borderline wind directions on purpose sometimes because he knows big bucks want the wind in their favor, not the hunters favor. Usually when he does this, he sets up so that any deer that will wind him, he could’ve already shot. There’s not much point in playing it safe and walking on egg shells if you don’t plan to hunt that spot again. Dan hunts heavily pressured public land in SE Wisconsin and routinely shoots bucks that others don’t even see because he’s not afraid to get close.
Playing it safe on public ground will hurt you more often than it helps you. It's probably the most overlooked factor for success. Find the right place 1. Hunt the right place 1. everything else 2.

·
Registered
26,568 Posts
Playing it safe on public ground will hurt you more often than it helps you. It's probably the most overlooked factor for success. Find the right place 1. Hunt the right place 1. everything else 2.
If you wait on state land, there's a good chance someone will beat you to the punch.

·
Super Moderator
36,555 Posts
I've never noticed any correlation with bluejays and deer. Squirrels though will squawk at deer, fox, coyotes, bluejays, another squirrel and just about anything else.
Ya. I've seen lots of deer with no change in Jay demeanor and they could be right next to each other. Also lots of Jay's sounding off with nothing visible (or maybe an occasional hawk around).

I think Jay's squawking COULD be a sign of a deer coming but that's probably less likely than most other causes.

I guess it would be a conservative approach to pay extra attention or be ready if the blue Jay's are alerted for any reason, regardless of whether you believe in it or not.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Ha.......so because you may wear the sweetest new camo, take scent control to a neurotic level, and obsess over the wind......that makes you a better hunter?

I'd say that reading deer sign and habitat, then finding the deer makes one a better hunter. Not the camo they wear.
I am surprised that Bama did not comment on the holes in his pants that they showed on a earlier secession. You have to look good in your camo!

·
Super Moderator
36,555 Posts
Dan hunts heavily pressured public land in SE Wisconsin and routinely shoots bucks that others don’t even see because he’s not afraid to get close.
Makes perfect sense. What have you got to lose on state land? Either kill it yourself or have someone else bump the buck or kill it. More aggressive probably wins out the majority of the time. Private land... could be a different strategy.

961 - 980 of 1317 Posts