Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great video from the guys at THP. The thought of shooting a deer quartering to is foreign to me but they make a good case for it with the right set up and under certain conditions.

Good stuff!

·
Registered
18,930 Posts
First arrow put in/ through a deer for me was between brisket and shoulder quartering to. Soured me on the shot.
Deflected off brisket. Broadhead bent. Deer left with a hole in it missing any vitals.

Same shot with a rifle , doe ran about 400 yards. Carried off (ungutted , snow told the tale) before I arrived where she fell. Basically threaded through same area as arrow had on the prior mentioned shot , but energy dump likely broke the shoulder. Internal damage was suspected past the ribs , but of course I had no evidence to inspect.

Yes , if you can punch through into vitals , it's a fatal shot. Just not mine , due to odds previously encountered trying it.

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
Quartering to would be considered ethical for that crew. Their hail mary on the run shots would be cool if it wasn't on a live target.

Also, making a case for that shot is one thing when practiced. The average arrow flinger should just wait for a better shot. It's me, I'm average.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
Not a fan of Qaurtering too shots, Even when I use to shoot 90# plus bows and 2419 arrows with heavy broadheads. Just too much can go wrong. I feel I owe it to the animal to take good ethical shots. If I don't get one, no biggie. It's not the end of the world, maybe next time. Better then saying " man you should of seen the one I wounded, ended up chasing him all night threw that nasty Hell Hole of a swamp".
While I can shoot a compound very good ,still not taking it. And with my stickbow ,thought would never even enter my mind.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Ditto what Waif said...
Ditto what HH said...
Ditto what Stickbow said
Firearms? No problem. For archery...I will wait for a better shot opportunity.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I thought it was a good video. My takeaway was that shooting heavy set-ups isn't a magic bullet and you still have to be responsible with your shot choices. I liked that they discouraged the frontal shot on whitetails (super low percentage shot) or shooting through brush. Good for newer hunters to hear. I didn't think they were encouraging the hard quarter to (which happens to be one of my favorite angles with a firearm) but rather that with the right setup you can take a slight quarter to shot and not be afraid to hug up into the shoulder.
I hunt with a guy who used to shoot 90# with aluminum broomsticks and 150gr razorback 5 blade broadheads; he'd intentionally shoulder shoot deer to break them down. Not my cup of tea, but he was probably pushing enough momentum to kill a buick so more power to him.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I shot a slight quartering to deer in 2018 at 20 yds. 100 gr spitfire, 60# compound. Hit where I was aiming, arrow came out the backside, about 4" of lighted nock showing on near side. Incredible blood trail, he made it 60 yds. Similar to the road deer in the video (at 12 yds w different head) It is what it is, make your own opinion.
I'm back to a fixed, for how long can't say. One thing about heavier arrows/heads, it helps if you're shooting higher poundage because it's not as flat of trajectory. imo

Entry
2018 in.jpg

Exit

2018 out.jpg

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Not a shot that the majority of archers should be taking regardless of equipment used. Can it be done, obviously. Have I done it successfully, yes ( under ideal circumstances). Still not a shot that I would recommend for the masses.

The deer that I have killed with this shot have all been between 6-10 yards away, I was on the ground and ready when the shot occurred.

Reactions: Wild Thing

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Not an easy shot nor one anyone will recommend for those with little summer practice. I’ll admit, I’ve taken more deer with a quartering to shot than those with a quartering away shot. We are not talking a steep quartering angle, but a slight one. I’ve just always waited for that near leg to step forward to open up things and that adds a ton of forgiveness. I also only do it within close ranges. All have been with a bow, but shot angle doesn’t change with the weapon, but wait for the best opportunity and take it or pass on it if it isn’t good enough.equipment, opportunity, practice and ability all factor into the decision of shoot or pass and we all have to be honest with ourselves on all of that before releasing out of respect for the target.

·
Registered
18,930 Posts
Not an easy shot nor one anyone will recommend for those with little summer practice. I’ll admit, I’ve taken more deer with a quartering to shot than those with a quartering away shot. We are not talking a steep quartering angle, but a slight one. I’ve just always waited for that near leg to step forward to open up things and that adds a ton of forgiveness. I also only do it within close ranges. All have been with a bow, but shot angle doesn’t change with the weapon, but wait for the best opportunity and take it or pass on it if it isn’t good enough.equipment, opportunity, practice and ability all factor into the decision of shoot or pass and we all have to be honest with ourselves on all of that before releasing out of respect for the target.
Understood what you mean.

That is not what the video pic is showing.

Reactions: Wild Thing

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts
There’s all kinds of shots I won’t take with a bow that could work. Neck, head, Texas heart shot, Just because it works once doesn’t mean its a good idea.

I’ve been on to many shoulder, 1 lung, tracks to take that shot.

·
Administrator
17,585 Posts
Simple for me on any quartering shot with archery equipment- enter and exit between the diaphragm and shoulder ... or wait!
<----<<<

·
Premium Member
12,899 Posts
I will occasionally take a quartering to or full head-on shot with my crossbow if the distance is close. At 390 FPS and 15 yards or less I could hit a silver dollar every time. The steep angle provides a base the neck entry and exit the boiler room, I am not a person who is subject to nerves. I t boils down to the shot "You" can make. Done right a head-on shot leaves a tremendous blood trail. Anything farther or a slower bow and this is off the table.

Reactions: FullQuiver
1 - 14 of 14 Posts